Rebecca Gray ’12 RA & Member of STAND

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Hometown

Clifton Park, NY

Major/Minor & Why:
Psychology and Gender Women Studies:  Psychology can offer so many different types of social work professions and the study of people in general is fascinating to me.  I decided to minor in Gender Women Studies because of its focus on how society influences the way gender roles are played out day to day. 

Other things your involved in on campus/work:
I am an R.A. in Dablon and have been an R.A. in freshman resident’s halls for the past three years. I work every day at Elmcrest Daycare Center in the toddler room.  A member of the newly found group STAND.

How did you get involved with Rwanda/through class? (specific class course name with teacher please):
I got involved in STAND through Religion 400, Religion, Conflict, and Peace in an African Context with Dr. Darius Makuja. 

What do you like learning about Rwanda/class topics?
The thing I found most interesting about Rwanda was how many warning signs there were prior to the actual genocide.  Many countries knew about many events leading up to the genocide yet did nothing to stop it. 

What has been the most profound thing you have learned about Rwanda/STAND/through your class?

The most profound thing I have learned is how a person whose life has been torn apart can forgive and move forward.  I think everyone can learn from the courage and strength these people, particularly those in Darfur, have shown.  There have been many stories told about men who have killed other men’s family members but still being able to befriend each other and forgive, a truly inspiring story.

What does STAND stand for? What do you hope your Rwanda group accomplishes? Is anyone else working on it with you?
STAND is a student-led division of the United to End Genocide (formerly Genocide Intervention Network), it envisions a world in which the international community protects civilians from genocidal violence. At its core, the mission is to empower individuals and communities with the tools to prevent and stop genocide.  The goal of our entire class (both Rwanda and Darfur groups) is to spread awareness about Africa and educate the Le Moyne community about the atrocities that had occurred in both places.  Our goal as a class is to create a STAND group on campus and hold events throughout the spring semester. 

What is your assignment that has motivated this effort?
The assignment that Dr. Makuja assigned us was very open ended.  He told us that as a “tribe” we had to come up with some way to teach others what we have learned in our class.  The Rwanda group chose to show the movie Hotel Rwanda, and the Darfur group chose have students promise to tell two people about the events that occurred in Darfur, while they gave them information about the effects of Darfur.  As for people involved, everyone in the Religion 400 group has played a major role in putting on these events. 

Why is spreading awareness about Rwanda/STAND important to you?

Spreading awareness about genocide is important because many people don’t realize it is going on, they only become aware after thousands of people are killed.  By educating people about other genocides that have occurred hopefully we will be the generation that is able to say “Never Again” and mean it.

What do you hope to do after Le Moyne? How will having awareness of Rwanda/STAND/the class your in help you in your future, if it will.
After Le Moyne I plan to go on and get my doctorate in School Psychology.  I will be able to use the knowledge I have gained in this class by spreading the word.  One day I will be working in a school.  Creating high school STAND chapters is something I would love to do.  This class had also taught me to be aware of the “American bubble” I currently live in.  I am now aware of more global issues and my friends will be glad to hear that my geography knowledge has increased tremendously!   

What would be your best advice for first year students regarding getting involved?
My best advice would be to find a few clubs that you are passionate about and run with them! Being involved in multiple groups doesn’t give you the opportunity to truly be 100% involved in one cause.  If you feel passion for something focus your energy on it rather than spreading yourself to thin.    

What’s a quote/motto you live by?
“Celebrate we will, cause life is short but sweet for certain.” DMB

What do you do for fun/to relax?

For fun I like to take naps, currently reading the Hunger Games <3, hangout with friends, watch Bravo and Hoda and Kathy Lee, and be outside (when weather permits of course)

Who has been your favorite professor at Le Moyne?

My favorite professor would have to be either Dr. Makuja or Dr. Michaelson.  Both love their subjects so much and are inspiring people to be around.  

Best advice for students stressed out about finals this week?
YOU’RE ALMOST THERE!!!!

Ivanna Abreu is a junior Communications major at Le Moyne College with a concentration in Advertising and minors in English and Creative Writing. She was born in the Dominican Republic, but was raised in the Bronx, NY. One of her greatest passions in life is the art of communication and how people relate and communicate with each other. Living in New York City only fostered this passion because her whole life she has been surrounded by different cultures and people. Ivanna enjoys writing and reading, specifically about human interest stories. She prides herself in having a great work ethic and unlike some she enjoys constantly being on the move and being busy. In her hands you will always find either her iPhone or coffee (or on a good day both). She also loves all things comedy and is always trying to make someone laugh.