Music for the College Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Devendra Obi Banhart. That has to be one of my favorite names to say out loud. I first came across the folk king a couple of years ago when a close friend told me I just had to watch his ad campaign for the eyewear company Oliver Peoples. Banhart’s real life girlfriend apparently was my doppelganger. Ohh I wished. I took the compliment and went right home to look him up. I was forever hooked on the freaky, Venezuelan singer.

Devendra is hands down the most unique character I have blogged about up to this point, and perhaps in the world. His looks alone could kill. But, like all true, “unique” artists out there, Devendra saddles up with a genre referred to by some as “New Weird America”. His lyrics along with his risky music videos are most definitely expressive. I personally think “avant-folk” is the most fitting describing word. His experimental work within the medium has been an inspiration for me throughout the years.

I personally like the feeling of being sent off on a balmy vacation in the islands, listening to “Baby” on the Album, What Will We Be.” The lyrics in this song make me feel like a complete kid again. “Like a bow-tied kangaroo, you’ll be one and I’ll be one too.” The song is all about finding someone who makes you really happy. A blooming relationship where your significant other makes you feel great about every little thing. “Baby, I finally know what I’m going after,” ahh, it gives my life hope! He likes leaping from an array of different genre’s on each song, reggae folk to old 1940’s sounds, to up beat head thumpers. The free dancin “16th & Valencia, Roxy Music” is a jollity to enjoy on the dance floor. The sixth album of Banhart received a whopping low rating on Pitchfork. But c’mon, what great album hasn’t gotten the unfair thumbs down from the venerated website.

What I really love about Banhart is that, people hold a very cliché picture in their heads that the songwriter is some incoherent, whimsical character, with music that’s surfacy and poser-like. And although at times he comes off like that. His music really is coherent. You can connect with his messages, even though sometimes they are portrayed in a fanatical way. I find beauty in his creativity and spirituality. He gives it all free reign. The boy’s gunna do what he wants to do, and he’s got quite the tale to tell. His delicate touch to the guitar rings in your ears with tracks like “Little Yellow Spider” and the ever goofy tune, “Chinese Children.” You sort of feel like you should be living on a commune, picking sunflowers to braid into some insubstantial headband or something.

But I digress. It’s hard not to with this exceptional personality. His meditative material makes a sturdy impact on all people. It doesn’t matter your musical taste. It doesn’t require any intense listening experience. Just turn up the volume and let the mystic forces of Devendra’s voice evoke some passion in that lifeless existence of yours!
Junior Communications Major with a concentration in Journalism. Minors in Creative Writing, Art, English, and Business.