Campus Celeb: Claire Woodburn ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.
Campus Celeb: Claire Woodburn ’16
Year: Junior
Hometown: Huron, Ohio
Sign: Capricorn
Campus Positions: LSPB Co-Chair, RA

When did you join LSPB and why? I joined LSPB my freshmen year as a way to get to know people. Coming from Ohio, I knew absolutely no one upon arriving at LMC. I figured that joining a club would more or less force people to be friends with me (just kidding… maybe?) I also joined LSPB because it just seemed like such a fun club to be in. I knew that they were responsible for planning a lot of the awesome Welcome Week events, and I knew I wanted to be a part of that. 

How does it feel to be Co-Chair of LSPB?I have a lot of different emotions when it comes to this. I’m extremely proud of myself for working my butt off to get to this position. I knew when I joined LSPB that I wanted to work my way up and eventually be co-chair. It’s a great organization that’s known campus wide, and I’m extremely lucky to be in this position. As much as I love this position, it’s no secret that I’m slowly losing my mind! A lot of time goes into this position — running meetings, attending meetings with other offices, emailing members, staff, and entertainment agencies, setting up for events, you name it. It’s exhausting, but at the end of the day the satisfaction of a successful event makes up for all of the stress. 

What do you like about LSPB? The staff? There are too many things to name! I have an awesome co-chair, Paul Rich, who is there to jump in when it’s clearly one of those days that I’m going to lose my mind. The E-Board is great. The majority of them are juniors like me, and we’ve been doing this together for 3 years now. I love that we’ve moved from just freshmen in the club, to representatives as sophomores, and now running the club our junior year. Not only have we been in the club together, but we’ve been friends from the beginning, too, so just another reason why I love the people I work with. They’re a phenomenal group of people. We also have an outstanding moderator, Beth Griffith, who really keeps the club together and running. I truly believe we’d fall apart without her. At least I know I would! 
Apart from the staff, the most rewarding part of being involved with LSPB is just sitting back and watching people enjoy the events. No matter how much stress is involved, it gets washed away as soon as it’s clear the event was a success. 

Being a Resident Advisor and working at the Bookstore, how do you get things done? I don’t sleep! No, just kidding. Sleeping is my favorite hobby. Honestly, I don’t know how I do it. Probably because I’ve stopped watching Netflix, much to my dismay. Really though, I mostly get things  done when I have free time at one job. Weekends at the Bookstore are usually dead, so I spend a lot of that time getting things done. I try to do a lot while I’m on duty, too. 

What is your most memorable moment of LSPB when you first joined? My most memorable moment would have to be the first event I was asked to run my freshman year, which was a showing of “Halloweentown” in the Den. Somehow the request to catering for appetizers did not go through, so 15 minutes before the event, Grace Simpson (now our secretary) and I had to come up with some food. We drove to the Dollar store and went down the snack aisle with a grocery cart and just started putting all the food we could in the cart. I felt like we were on that old gameshow that they did in supermarkets. 

If a song was to play in the background of that memorable moment, what would it be? Oh geez… I have no idea. Let’s go with Punching in a Dream by The Naked and Famous

Any hobbies? I play guitar and sing, but I’m not nearly as good as my boyfriend so whenever I get out my guitar I just hand it over to him because I love hearing him play. I also really love Parks & Rec and Scandal. Oh, and I love trying new beers. The World of Beer is basically my favorite place ever. Currently drinking a Christmas Ale from the Great Lakes Brewing Co. 

Favorite RA to bother: Colter, hands down. 

Favorite snack: Cheez-its!
Asiana Smith is a Communications Major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Sociology.