The Man Behind Jersey #1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

We had the awesome opportunity to interview Jon Mays ’11 and talk about his successes at Lawrence. During his four-years here, he played two sports, basketball and golf, while simultaneously working hard in school. He took the time to share his reflections on his athletic and academic careers at Lawrence with us. 

HC Lawrence: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
JM: Aside from being tall, dark, and handsome, I am also a basketball player, a golfer, and a psychology major. I plan on attending graduate school and studying sports psychology after I graduate from Lawrence. I have also considered playing basketball overseas after I graduate.  As long as I can do something with sports I will be happy. 

HC Lawrence:  What are you looking forward to most, now that basketball is over?
JM: I am looking forward to having more free time to hang out with my friends now that basketball is over. I was hoping that the season could have lasted a little longer, but even since the season has been over all the guys on the team are still really close. We all still hang out together and it will be fun to work out with them in the spring to get them better for next year. 

HC Lawrence:  What do you think you’re going to miss most about basketball?
JM:  I think that the thing I will miss most about basketball is the team camaraderie. It is by far the closest team I have ever been on and it will be tough to not be able to play with these guys again, but more importantly I’m gonna miss just hanging out and joking around with everyone.   

HC Lawrence:  What’s it like having a best friend who plays in the NBA? Has it made you become an Oklahoma City Thunder fan?
JM: Having a friend in the NBA is a pretty unreal experience. I have played basketball with Cole since grade school and to see all of his hard work paying off is really cool. He is still the same kind of guy that he was back in high school. He is really humble and down to earth, which is great. Hopefully now he can just hook me up with a car or something when I graduate. 

HC Lawrence: Can you elaborate on the summer you hung out with Kevin Durant and Jeff Green? Aside from the monetary gain, do you think it really pays off (for some players) to skip college and play professionally? 
JM: It was awesome to get to meet some of the Thunder players since Cole has gotten drafted. Kevin Durant, aside from being one of the best players in the league, is also known as one of the nicest people in the NBA too, and I definitely know why now. Most celebrities would hardly acknowledge a little white boy like myself, but he personally introduced himself to me and was extremely humble. He also talked to my girlfriend for a little bit and he might have been hitting on her, but that is definitely alright with me. I think that the way the NBA is set up now is good for college athletes. At least a year in college will help a player mature on and off the court and eventually make them better players, and of course they will eventually get those big paychecks.

HC Lawrence: Looking back on your time at Lawrence, is there anything you wish you did differently?
JM: My time at Lawrence has been great, and I can’t really think of anything I would change. Some mistakes or bad decisions that I’ve made have made me realize that I shouldn’t do those things again. Maybe one thing I would change is trying to dunk a few more times for my fans. 

HC Lawrence:  Being a two-sport athlete at Lawrence sounds a bit daunting. How did you balance academics with sports? 
JM: Being a two-sport athlete here at Lawrence has been a great experience for me. Aside from meeting a ton of people, athletics has also helped me manage my time better and left me with many great memories. Golf is probably the most time consuming and exhausting sport to play at Lawrence. The offseason training is unlike anything I’ve ever been through before, and then once the season starts we still have 5 AM team runs and hills. Keep in mind this is all with our golf bags on our backs. We may not be the best team in the conference but we are in the best shape. Basketball is really just my way of staying in shape for golf. 

Thanks Jon! All of us at HC™ Lawrence wish you a successful end of your senior year and the best of luck after graduation!

Photo Credit: 
http://photopaul.shutterfly.com/

Ariella Morik is a senior at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin studying English and Film Studies. She has served as Vice-President of Her Campus™ Lawrence for the past year and is excited to take the position of Campus Correspondent. She is an active student within her academic department and is Vice President of Programming and Social Events of the Alpha Zeta chapter of Delta Gamma. After graduation, she plans to pursue a law degree or a masters in creative writing. When she's not busy with her academic and co-curricular engagements, she finds time to run outdoors and spend time with her friends.
Annie Kaiser is a senior economics and government major at Lawrence University. Happily born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Annie also has been called a "nomad" by her friends. In the past two years she has lived on both coasts, spending a year at school in Claremont, California and living in Georgetown for a summer internship with a political web-blog in Alexandria, Virginia. She played Varsity basketball and soccer throughout college, and has decided boxing will be her go-to workout after her collegiate athletic retirement. Annie's favorite activities include dining in fine restaurants, debating about politics, memorizing the presidents in order, painting, keeping up with celeb gossip, seatfiling at award shows, making lists of interesting words, and reading classic novels. She can not get enough of Jack Johnson music, new challenges, and Chuck Bass. Her motto: put your mind to it, and do it.