Ellen French A.K.A. “Frenchie” ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

Almost no one calls her Ellen, even though that’s what is written on her birth certificate. No, many Lawrentains prefer a more affectionate name for the junior from Winnetka, Illinois. For all of us at Lawrence, she’s Frenchie. 

And you wouldn’t be surprised to hear her name all around campus, because she is everywhere – even across the river.

Frenchie is a regular at and around Alex Gym, where she wears several hats. One as a player on the softball team and the other as a manager, for two teams – women’s soccer and women’s basketball.

“My favorite thing about LU sports is the support of teams from other teams,” she said. “There is a lot of camaraderie between athletes.

I would also add: as a first-hand witness to her management skills, she’s top notch. 

And speaking of management skills, French knows how to manage another – and even more important – aspect of her life: her grades. 

So don’t let her laid back and friendly demeanor fool you, she’s all business! Literally. As an economics major, she plans to go to business school and become a stock broker or work for the front office of a sports team.

After landing a coveted (and paid!) internship with Sentry Insurance, Frenchie is all ready on her way to achieving those goals.

I asked her to offer some advice for other students who are looking for similar positions, and she said you don’t need to look far beyond the bubble for potential opportunities.

My advice would be apply with Lawrence alums,” she said. “They really want to help Lawrence students find jobs.”

For Spring Break French went to Florida to compete in a tournament with the softball team, where she played well while adding a nice bronze glow to her skin.

Fun fact: she was born in California.

Thanks Frenchie for your time! If you want to know more about her, be sure to become her friend. But pay close attention, because she has a very understated sarcasm that you could miss – and this is something you don’t want to do – because her one-liners are hilarious.

Annie Kaiser is a senior economics and government major at Lawrence University. Happily born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Annie also has been called a "nomad" by her friends. In the past two years she has lived on both coasts, spending a year at school in Claremont, California and living in Georgetown for a summer internship with a political web-blog in Alexandria, Virginia. She played Varsity basketball and soccer throughout college, and has decided boxing will be her go-to workout after her collegiate athletic retirement. Annie's favorite activities include dining in fine restaurants, debating about politics, memorizing the presidents in order, painting, keeping up with celeb gossip, seatfiling at award shows, making lists of interesting words, and reading classic novels. She can not get enough of Jack Johnson music, new challenges, and Chuck Bass. Her motto: put your mind to it, and do it.