This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lawrence chapter.

Beauty rituals have come a long way over the course of history. Although we no longer use nightingale dung as a facial mask like the Japanese geishas or lead powder as a foundation like the women in the Renaissance, some treatments have lasted through the ages and are still used today. Here are a few secrets from countries around the world that you can incorporate into your everyday routine.

1. South America: Avocadoes

Many women in South America use avocadoes on their hair and skin to moisturize and create extra shine. Because this fruit is high in nutrients and Vitamin E, it is an excellent ingredient for hair masks as well as facial peels. Jessica Harris, author of The World Beauty Book, also suggests a great tip: “Take the peels and rub the interior on your face. The slightly grainy texture of the inside of the avocado peel is exfoliating, and the peel itself is rich with avocado oil. The combination is great for those with problem skin.”

2. West Africa: Shea Butter

Although this is a commonly used ingredient in American lip balms and body lotions today, shea butter, which comes from the nut of the karite tree, has been used in Africa for centuries to moisturize skin as well as minimize wrinkles, scars, and stretch marks. But its uses are not limited to just your skin as it can also be an effective hair product for holding in curls and up-dos. Plus, recent studies have proved that shea butter works as a nasal decongestant when applied underneath your nose as well as a remedy for sore muscles when massaged into your skin.

3. India: Tumeric

Got a pimple the day before a big event? Women in India have been using this spice, commonly used for cooking, as an anti-inflammatory for their skin before weddings and other important ceremonies. Applied as a paste that is commonly mixed with chickpeas (another anti-inflammatory and exfoliant), tumeric is used by brides as a facial mask the night before their wedding to reduce puffiness, minimize pores, and creating a healthy glow.

4. France: Lemons

How many of you have ever experienced the awful yellow stains left on your nails after you remove your polish? Laura Mercier, a renowned French makeup artist, lets us in on a little-known secret: “Women in France do their own manicures, often with red polish. First, they soak their fingers in warm water with lemon juice. It erases the yellow tinge that red polish can leave behind.” 

5. Italy: Eggs

A warm climate and constant sun exposure can easily dry out the hair of Southern Italian women, causing their locks to become brittle and frizzy. However, they have mastered an effective solution to prevent damage and add moisture by creating an egg-white mousse to apply as a hair mask. Women’s Health Magazine and Italian hair stylist Giovanni Giuliano recommend an easy recipe for this hair-saver: “Whip two [eggs] into a frothy mousse and apply it to wet hair for 10 minutes, then shampoo and rinse with lukewarm water.”

6. China: Rice

“Many women in China use rice water to cleanse their faces, because rice has antioxidants that help prevent premature skin aging,” says Christine Chin, an esthetician and owner of Christine Chin Spa in New York City. A simple way to do this in your dorm is to place a handful of rice (organic is preferable) into a cup of water and let it soak for about ten minutes. Next, dip a washcloth into the solution and lay it across your face for anywhere from five to fifteen minutes to achieve the maximum benefits.

Photo Sources:
Google Images
Sources:
Womenshealthmag.com
Sheabutter.net
Huffingtonpost.com

Ariella Morik is a senior at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin studying English and Film Studies. She has served as Vice-President of Her Campus™ Lawrence for the past year and is excited to take the position of Campus Correspondent. She is an active student within her academic department and is Vice President of Programming and Social Events of the Alpha Zeta chapter of Delta Gamma. After graduation, she plans to pursue a law degree or a masters in creative writing. When she's not busy with her academic and co-curricular engagements, she finds time to run outdoors and spend time with her friends.