Giraffe
Giraffe
Alaura Dannon

Things to do when you visit Kenya

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Kenya is one of the largest tourist destinations in East Africa, and it’s not hard to tell why. Kenya is home to about 42 different languages making it a very cultural home, and with plenty of fun activities to do, one can hardly get bored here. Here are a couple of activities to do when you visit Kenya (sans COVID).

Giraffe manor

Imagine waking up in a manor surrounded by beautiful nature, birds singing, clean air and giraffes poking their heads through your window. At the giraffe manor, you get this unique experience and live with beautiful giraffes. You get to feed them and pet them and have a great time with them. I think this is such a beautiful place to visit. https://www.thesafaricollection.com/properties/giraffe-manor/

Game drives

Popularly known as ‘Safaris,’ which is Swahili for ‘a journey,’ a game drive is a trip around the animals’ natural habitats. Kenya is home to the big 5 (lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, and buffalo), and at the Nairobi national park, Tsavo park or Maasai mara, one can see these beautiful animals. It is best to go early in the morning as most animals will be up for the morning hunt. 

Rift valley trip

A favourite to most is the natural phenomena of the rift valley. Formed through faulting and sinking, the valley is 7000 kilometres in length, running from Lebanon to Mozambique. For lovers of Geography or incredible scenery, this is the place to visit. The valley is home to numerous mountains, for example, Mount Longonot (which is famous for climbers) and various rivers, for example, lake bogoria, which is renowned for its hot springs and flamingo population. There are also plenty of camping sites that make it all the better for mountain climbers and anyone visiting the area.

Sandy beaches 

Home to Mombasa and Malindi’s beautiful beaches, one can enjoy the sun and have various coastal dishes such as mahamri and biryani. The resorts along the coast offer a welcoming and comfortable stay elevating your experience. There are also camel rides and beach and glass boat activities where you can see the marine life and go for a dive in the ocean.

Maasai mara 

This is a national game reserve of preserved savannah wilderness in Narok. Here you can connect with the Maasai people’s culture, embark on a culture walk with the Maasai to learn their way of life, and participate in a workshop to see how the women make the beads they wear. If you go at the right time of the year (from mid-December to March), you can witness the great wildebeest migration. Experience the tension as the beasts cross the croc-infested waters of River Mara. Glide over the mara plains on a balloon safari and experience an African sundowner. Watch as the sun dips over the horizon as you enjoy the sounds as sights of Kenya.

Make Kenya the excuse for your next cultural tour destination. Her richness in culture and activities keep you entertained and fulfilled throughout your visit.

Leah Ngigi

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Leah is a cheerful yet shy girl who finds herself lost in writing, nothing like playing around with words to create something interesting and enjoyable. She's a lover of music, art, fashion and films. Feel free to chat about everything and anything on instagram (@leah_n.gigi)
.