My Top Five Places to Visit Over Reading Week 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

School can be pretty tough, but picking a vacay spot doesn’t have to be! I have compiled a list of my top five places to travel to over reading week. These are places I have either visited and love, or ones that I’ve always wanted to visit. Some also have come highly recommended by both trusted friends, family, or fellow travel-lovers from the internet.

Copenhagen, Denmark

Why Copenhagen? Well, not only does it look gorgeous, but the Airbnb I found is actually affordable AND cute! It can fit up to 3 guests: so, make a girls trip out of it and split the cost 3 ways, am I right? I’ve personally never been to Denmark but it’s totally on my list of places to travel to before I die, so why not do it over the February reading week. If having an entire apartment to yourself doesn’t entice you, flights to Denmark are going for about $980 CAD roundtrip. This should be enough to get you to pack your bags ASAP!

Nice, France

If Denmark doesn’t appeal to you, but you still want to travel to Europe, try Nice, France! Not only is it gorgeous, colourful and lively but it’s also full of wonderful experiences. I have been to Nice and the one thing I loved more than the shopping was the fact that you could indulge. Why not allow yourself the pleasure of sampling the best local food or making your own fragrance in a perfume workshop? You can use sites like Airbnb to find popular experiences, discover new things to do and make the most of your trip! 

Orlando, Florida

You say “Orlando”, I say “Disney!” Walt Disney World may be a hotspot for families, but it is so much more than the House of Mouse. You can plan a killer trip for a week and have the time of your life. Stay on-site and enjoy all the perks that come with it, such as extra magic hours or package delivered right to your hotel! Stay off-site and save money! Either way, you’re winning. If you’re going over reading week, enjoy it. One thing I would recommend for my Mickey Mouse Club friends 21+ is to sample the drinks from around the world. Visit the Epcot Showcase, go all around the world and drink while you do it! It sounds like an Epcot (epic) time. 

Barcelona, Spain

I’ve been to Barcelona and it is BEAUTIFUL! The architecture and the sounds of the city are enticing and the luxurious accommodations and flavourful food make it *chef’s kiss*. If you really want to make the most of your travels, why not take a bike sightseeing tour of the city and learn the ins and outs of what makes Barcelona so unique? When I went on a trip with my school, we did a ton of walking and I remember being so jealous of everyone on bikes because they could weave through crowds with ease. Sites like TripAdvisor can be great for locating a bike tour, whether private or not – they have you covered!

Cape Town, South Africa

Finally, the last destination on my list is Cape Town. If you don’t think you can swing a trip to the continent of Africa, you’re wrong! Simply speaking, it’s not super cheap, but based on my research the most expensive part would be your flights – and if you use sites like KAYAK, you should have no problem booking a last-minute flight on the cheap. But why stop there? Use Airbnb to find a place to stay for your time in Cape Town and Google to discover the hottest restaurants! Using Google might even be easier than buying guide books, or even using a travel agent. I know that for all of my family vacations, we have never used a travel agent. This isn’t because they’re not worth it, but because I was raised by control freaks who needed to arrange everything.

I have now given you some travel tips along with five destination ideas to visit over the reading week this semester. They are all lovely places and come highly recommended. Thanks for taking the time to read and if you have any tips, tricks or recommendations, I would love to hear them. And if you need a travel buddy, hit me up!

Meghan Cameron

Laurier Brantford '20

Meghan is a fourth-year Criminology student with a passion for writing. She enjoys tea, petting dogs, and thrift shopping. Meghan spends her days planning trips she can't yet afford and practicing her award show acceptance speech! Give her a follow on Instagram @megeghan_c for punny captions and too many selfies.
.