This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

2020 may have been a very tough year in a lot of different ways, for obvious reasons. But on the K-dramas side, it was one of the best years since 2016, in my opinion. K-dramas are Korean soap operas/television series and usually have 16 to 24 episodes and last about a season. They are known for their cheesy romantic plots and love triangles, but they are so much more. Once you dive into the world of K-drama you will be hooked for sure!

I’ve been watching K-dramas since 2015 and for me, 2015 and 2016 were amazing years for K-dramas, but I’ve been kind of disappointed with the dramas of 2017, 2018 and, 2019. Only a handful really interested me, so, I was pleasantly surprised with the dramas this year and the fact that I was hooked to most of them from the start.

Here are 5 dramas that I loved from 2020 that I 100% think should be on your watch list.

Hospital Playlist

Hospital Playlist is a medical drama that tells the story of people who work at the Yulje Hospital. It focuses on 5 doctors who are friends that met at medical school when they were younger. I really loved this drama and the story was really heartwarming. I got really attached to the characters, and the soundtrack was one of the best. The drama is made in a way that there is a main story through the entire season but each episode centers around a specific story and through that, you get to meet amazing characters. If you love cute stories and a lighthearted but sometimes heavy show that is pretty funny as well Hospital Playlist is for you.

Record of Youth

Record of Youth revolves around a group of 3 people who are trying to achieve their dreams in the fashion, modelling, and acting industry. The drama deals with economical inequalities and how they can affect your opportunities. The main character, Sa Hye Jun, who came from a lower-class family showed that even though he couldn’t get as much help from his family as his best friend, Won Hae Hyo, he was able to work hard for his career and make it. This was one of my favourite things from the drama, how determined Sa Hye Jun was. The visuals of the drama were amazing as well, so if you’re looking for an aesthetic drama with a very nice story, Record of Youth is for you.

Chip In

Chip In is a mystery drama about the battle for a famous painter’s inheritance. The main character is the painter’s daughter, Yoo Bit Na, who tries to figure out what or who caused her father’s death. This drama was my discovery of the year and compared to the others it’s pretty short, with only 8 episodes. But wow, those 8 episodes are something! The drama is a murder mystery so even the audience doesn’t know who did it and with each episode, you learn clues and try to guess who the culprit is. The acting was amazing, and the story got you hooked from the first episode. I would 100% recommend Chip In, especially if you love mystery shows.

Hi Bye, Mama!

Hi Bye, Mama! is a drama about a mother who has been a ghost for 5 years but stayed around her daughter and husband. Through a 49-day reincarnation project, she can become human again. This drama is more on the sadder side, I think I cried a little bit at the end of each episode and I rarely cry while watching dramas. This drama teaches a lot of life lessons and talks a lot about gratitude and being grateful for everything that happens in your life because you never know what tomorrow might bring. It was a very heartwarming drama and I think everyone should watch it.

The World of the Married

The World of the Married is a drama that tells the story of a family doctor Ji Sun Woo, who is married to Lee Tae Oh and they have a teenage son. It’s based on the BBC series Dr. Foster. At first glance, it seems like Ji Sun Woo’s life is perfect, but she finds out she is being betrayed by her husband and friends. This drama was on another level; it’s the kind of show that makes you want to throw things at your tv or throw your laptop. You can never expect what is going to happen in an episode. It’s truly a masterpiece and it’s the highest rated cable tv drama and it deserves this title 100%.

So this is the list of some of my favorite K-dramas this year, you can find all of them except for Chip In on Netflix, hope you enjoy watching them!

Maeva Lago

Laurier Brantford '22

I am Maéva Lago-Dogo a Digital Media & Journalism major. I love K-pop, K-drama, traveling, Motorsports and spending a dangerous amount of time on Twitter and Netflix. Follow me on my Instagram @maeva_lagodogo.
.