timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

This year is coming to an end and a new one is beginning. Something that everyone says at the start of a new year is “new year, new me,” but when the year starts, it’s just the same old me. It is often said that resolutions are made to be broken, but maybe if we did a better job making them we wouldn’t break them so easily. Here is a list of 5 tips on how to keep your New Year’s resolutions.

1. Make simple resolutions

Making a big resolution that is going to bring a large and sudden change to your life automatically sets you up for failure. You should make small and simple resolutions that won’t require a high level of commitment and can easily fit into your routine. Match your goal with the amount of effort you can give, and make your resolutions clear so you can focus on what you have to do!

2. Start Planning early

Don’t decide what your goals for the new year are the day of the new year – plan them before. Look back on the year coming to an end, look at what you wish you had done differently, and what you wish could be different about your lifestyle. This way, you have a better overview of your life and can decide calmly about what your resolutions can be. Then you can start them on the first day of the year.

3. Find someone to go on the journey with you

Sometimes it’s easier to do things with your friends, family, or significant other. As a pair or group, you can both motivate each other or have a little competition. This method can hold you accountable and make you feel guilty if you are starting to get away from your goals.

4. Treat yourself

Celebrate your small victories because if you only focus on the end goal you can start feeling discouraged. Try to treat yourself every time you feel you have progressed; every month or once every two months for example. You won’t see the time pass and will feel like you have attained your goal even faster.

5. Don’t give up!

You might not always be motivated, and that’s okay, you are a human being. Just because you slip up one day or have no energy doesn’t mean you should give up altogether. Take a day or two off and take care of yourself, look at your achievements, and start again. Good Luck !

Maeva Lago

Laurier Brantford '22

I am Maéva Lago-Dogo a Digital Media & Journalism major. I love K-pop, K-drama, traveling, Motorsports and spending a dangerous amount of time on Twitter and Netflix. Follow me on my Instagram @maeva_lagodogo.