This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

If you’re a book lover, you either have a pile of books waiting to be read in the corner of your room, or you add to the pile as you go. But either way, you’re always looking for a new book to read. Bookstagram has become the best source for well reviewed books that makes reading feel more engaging.

As the name suggests, Bookstagram is just like Instagram but dedicated to books, where you can find thousands of trustworthy recommendations. But unlike the top ten lists you find on Google, Bookstagram posts allow for hundreds of people to dissect the book together. In the comment section, you can see what other readers think of the novel before you dedicate your time to it, or you can talk about the story you’re all reading. Each account feels like its own little book club.

The platform of Bookstagram allows for such a wide-reaching audience that oftentimes the creators of Bookstagram accounts will interview the author of that month’s book on live. If you’re someone who dives deep into the stories you read like me, getting to hear more details from the author themselves is always exciting to look forward to at the end of every monthly reading. You can read a story at your own pace and the reviews, comments, or videos about it will always be there waiting in the comment section for you.

One of my favourite parts about using Bookstagram to find new books is that I can just save a post into a collection on my account for later, making it easy to come back to the hidden treasures I found. Using hashtags, you can also search for specific genres or authors quickly, there are usually hundreds of posts for each hashtag, so you’ll never run out of reviews to read.

Some of my favourite Bookstagram accounts are; @absorbedinpages, @thunderbirdwomanreads, @readingbringsjoy,  @alyxandriaang, @wellreadblackgirl, @read_by_rodkelly@theguywiththebook, @jordys.book.club, @reesesbookclub, @avidreaderpress. Each one of these creators features new authors, a variety of genres and well-written reviews.

It’s so important for us as readers to engage with diverse narratives that provide new perspectives and voices. Bookstagram is a place where you can find a variety of suggested books, but also a variety of opinions and discussions. There are hundreds of perspectives on each novel I’ve read, and it made me look deeper into each story I thought I knew inside and out. Now once I finish a book I go straight to Bookstagram to read everything people are saying about it, and of course to find another one.

Jessica Hanson

Laurier Brantford '21

Jessica Hanson is a fourth year student at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English, and double minor in History and Professional Writing.
.