Zayn Malik Leaves One Direction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

On March 25th One Direction lost one of their members, Zayn Malik. After being with the band for five years, Malik decided it would be best for him to part ways with the band. This event happened after Malik left the band’s current “On The Road Again” tour in Southeast Asia to fly home due to stress. In the statement released, Malik said he was leaving the band to be a normal 22 year old, relax, and spend time with family. One Direction is still going to continue as a four-piece band.

While it is sad for him to leave so suddenly, the fans across the world know he is doing what’s best for him. Many fans have said online that they hope he can finally have some time to rest and spend time with his family. Others are angry and upset, but that’s expected for a band that’s constantly in the spotlight and is always doing something for the fans. When news first broke of Malik quitting One Direction, the internet exploded. Not only were fans screaming on Twitter and Tumblr, but even celebrities were posting on social media. Past boy band members like Jonathan Knight from New Kids on the Block and Nick Jonas from the Jonas Brothers applauded him on Twitter for choosing happiness over overworking himself. 

Malik will be missed in the One Direction fandom, but it could be a great thing for him to leave. When he first left the tour, it was due to stress. If Malik is having problems, then he needs to take care of himself first. Mental health is the most important part of a person’s life, and he needs to focus on that instead of working so hard in One Direction. Many band members have done that in the past, and Malik is just another one following the pack. Thankfully, most of the fans are accepting of his decision and will continue to support One Direction. It was a good five years with the five members, but hopefully the next five years will also be great with four members. 

Danie is a 2018 graduate of Lasell College. She served as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Lasell for two years, and wrote all four years. Danie also worked for Her Campus as a Community Management intern for two semesters, and was a National Feature Writer for six months. Danie studied Communication with concentrations in Journalism and Public Relations. She is currently seeking opportunities in the editorial or music industry. Follow her on all platforms at @raniedoberts and check out her website, raniedoberts.com.