You’re Missing Out on These Nancy Drew Video Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I’m an avid fan of video games and I love playing them to unwind and have fun. Spending some time on my farm in Stardew Valley or working on my latest build in The Sims 4 is one of my favorite ways to unwind after a long day of classes or doing homework in the library. When I was packing up to move out of my dorm last semester, I was scrolling through YouTube to find something to watch while I figured out how I was going to transport everything home. I stumbled across this YouTube creator called WizardKitten who posted videos about these video games based on the fictional teen detective, Nancy Drew. I remembered how I used to read Nancy Drew mysteries when I was younger and was instantly intrigued. After watching one playthrough of a game, Danger on Deception Island, I was hooked. These video games managed to seamlessly combine captivating storytelling with engaging puzzles and immersive atmospheres. I was amazed at the amount of hard work the developer, HeR Interactive, put into creating these games. 

I watched a few more playthroughs of some games, even when I wasn’t frantically throwing clothes into moving bags or contemplating why I owned so much stuff. I even decided it was time for me to play a Nancy Drew game by myself. After meticulously combing the Internet to determine what game to start with, I decided to download the 13th game in the series, Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. I was sold when I discovered that the primary location of this game is a restored 19th-century steam train! Once I started playing the game, I was thrust into a fictional past involving the Gold Rush and an eccentric business magnate named Jake Hurley. I had such a great time exploring the train, talking to the various characters onboard, and solving puzzles that eventually led to the unearthing of a secret gold mine. Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon, like many games in the Nancy Drew series, captured a wonderful sense of adventure further enhanced by excellent storytelling and engaging puzzles. I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I solved the mystery, and eagerly began searching for my next game. Since playing more games, my love and respect have only grown and tapped into that same joy I felt while reading Nancy Drew mysteries as a kid. What is so beautiful about these games is that there truly is something for everyone, from exploring the hidden passages of a medieval English castle to going undercover at an elite all-girls boarding school. I have had the best time solving these mysteries, and I can only hope that others will come to feel the same.

Olivia Post

Lasell '26

Olivia Post is the President of the Her Campus at Lasell chapter. She oversees all matters relating to the chapter, from editorial content to on-campus events. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia is a student ambassador for the Blue Key Society at Lasell. She is currently a sophomore at Lasell University, studying Secondary Education and English with a minor in Spanish. In her free time, Olivia enjoys reading, playing video games, and spending time with her roommates. She can also be found working on her latest crochet project, or watching RuPaul's Drag Race.