This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Fashion from the 90s has always held a special place in my heart. Many of my favorite TV shows and movies tend to take place in this time period. In the fashion industry currently, we are seeing so many trends from the 90s come back into the fashion of today. If you’re looking for the perfect basics to start off your 90s-inspired wardrobe then keep on reading!

Mom Jeans

This 90s staple has definitely made its way back into the fashion of the current day. In the 90s hit teen drama Beverly Hills 90210, you see this trend present on all of the cast members through the entirety of the show. Denim is everywhere, and the baggier the better. 

Slip Dresses

Slip dresses seem to be popping up all over social media today. Whether they’re styled with a turtleneck underneath for warmth, a leather jacket over top, or anything in between. This trend began in the 90s, and now you can even find slip dresses in the lingerie section of your thrift store. 

Crop Tops

This is not a new concept for anyone in their teens or 20s in 2021, but for those growing up in the 90s, this was all the rage. Julia Stiles rocked crop tops with low-rise jeans in her movie, 10 Things I Hate About You. 

Oversized Blazers

Layering a blazer over a dress with tights, a tee-shirt with baggy jeans, or whatever else you so choose, this is a style from the 90s that is a must-have for your closet. If you want to look like Alicia Silverstone from Clueless, opt for a plaid blazer as she wore this style often throughout the film. 

Butterfly Clips

Hilary Duff could always be seen sporting butterfly clips in her trendy hairstyles. This trend continued into the early 2000s and has seen a comeback in the fashion of today. With so many ways to style your hair with them, they are essential for your 90s starter pack!

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.