Worried About Surviving Your First Year of College? Check Out These Tips!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In honor of getting back into the swing of things, Her Campus Lasell is heading back to school in style.  We’ve got the tips and insights to get you through, whether you’re a freshman or a senior.

Your freshman year can be tough.  Many people are moving away from their hometowns to start new lives for the next four years and you no longer have the comfort of your family and hometown friends to help you get through the exciting, but nerve wracking change.  Even though it’s tough, there are so many highlights to college. This is a great chance to get involved, make lifelong friends, and have the time of your life. We get the transition can be scary, so here are our tips for how to survive your first year.

1. Join Clubs or Sports Teams

This a great easy way to make new friends and most likely you’ll have common interests with then if you joined the same club or sport. You can also try making friends with people on your floor on your dorm building if you are resident or try and make friends in your work study job if you have one. 

2. Don’t be Afraid to Reach Out to New People

If they are also a freshman, odds are they are just as nervous as you are about making new friends. Try asking someone in your class or on your floor to grab a meal sometime. I made the mistake of not doing this my first semester, but did it my second semester, and made some great friends. 

3. Try and Make a Friend In Every Class

You do not have to be best friends, but it is good to be friendly with at least one person in your class. Try and get their phone number one of the first classes, so that if one of you misses a class, the other can fill you in. It’s great to be able to know someone if you forgot what the homework was or if you need help on the homework. 

4. Stay Organized

Not only is this helpful with your classes, this is helpful if you have club meetings or practice that you do not want to miss. I found that there is a lot more independent work college rather than high school, so it is good to stay on top of it.

5. Don’t Procrastinate

I know this is easier said than done and I need to tell myself this sometimes too. However, procrastinating makes you more stressed out and you might not end up doing your best work. 

6. Give Everything Time

You might be thinking things such as “oh I am never going to get over being homesick” or “this class is awful.” Everything takes time to get over, such as being homesick. You have to also give everything a chance such as new classes, new friends, and new places.  

7. Keep Your Space Clean

A messy space can also be distracting when trying to get work done, so keep your place tidy! 

8. Roommates 

It can either work out super great or sadly sometimes not. If you’re having issues with your roommate, talk to them. Don’t let them build up to the point where you can’t stand each other.

9. Professors

Get to know your professors. College is just as much about networking as it is about sitting in class.

10. Always Backup Your Files

Google Drive is a great easy tool. It has a free version that comes with many helpful tools like docs, sheets, and powerpoint. It also makes it easy to share group projects.

Hope these help! Stay tuned for more tips this year on other topics from me!

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.