Worldwide Breast Cancer Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month worldwide! This month is so important for raising funds for research and supporting cancer patients and their families. The battle against cancer is far from won, but each year we get closer to a cure and we grow together to help those suffering from this illness.  

Octobre Rose: 

In Paris, France, stands a structure like no other, a beautiful symbol of love and freedom. The Eiffel Tower has been lit pink to kick off Pink October, the Breast Cancer Awareness movement in France. Love and freedom are so important in the fight against cancer, love and support from friends and family is what gets those fighting cancer through their journey. Freedom symbolizes the other side of cancer, the end of the tunnel. It symbolizes the moment those who have fought for survival can finally have hope for a future again, and that they are free from the sickness that crippled their lives for so long. France certainly has taken October by storm and is no doubt a leading figure in this movement. Thanks to this amazing display of awareness, more people can help the fight against Breast Cancer. 

Just to give you a better idea on how well this has been embraced all over the world, here are some images of national monuments lit up for this grand occasion. (Try to see how many you know!)

And a little closer to home:

It is clear that this illness affects enough people to make such a movement come together. In fact, 1-in-8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. This year alone, there are 2.8 million women who have either finished treatment or are currently receiving it. That is a lot of people. So much that they need our support, and they have it! 

If you want to learn more about how you can help or where and when events are taking place, just visit our good old friend Google and you won’t come up empty handed. There are so many ways to get involved, so why not? Help the world fight for a cure!