Women’s History Month: These Female Authors Will Give You The Chills

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I am a known scaredy-cat. I don’t like being out after dark, I can’t watch scary movies, and sometimes horror trailers are simply too much for me to even listen to. However, in the last six months, I’ve been trying to push my tolerance for the fear-inducing and get more into scary media. It all started with some gothic books that made me want to know more about the genre and test my limits. In this time, I’ve come to especially love the works of women authors. I find women have a special way of making mundane, domestic things terrifying. Whether it’s mystifying household tasks or creating spooky tales of childbirth, women just know how to chill me to the bone. I’ve compiled some of the authors I love, and if you find yourself hiding under the covers I’ll be right alongside you. 

Shirley Jackson

Shirley Jackson really kick started my interest in spooky scary novels. In the fall I read We Have Always Lived in the Castle and I loved the adrenaline rush I got from the thrilling twists and turns. I’m currently reading The Haunting of Hill House and it has me on the edge of my seat. You may have already read some Jackson in your high school years, as she authored the haunting short story The Lottery. She published throughout the 50s and 60s, a time looked back on as the heyday of the American housewife. Jackson is known for highlighting the hidden horror in women’s domestic life. She can imbue feminine symbols like bowls of sugar and gold-rimmed plates with suspense that will have you sleeping with all the lights on. 

T. Kingfisher 

If you’re seeking a more modern horror novelist, look no further than Ursula Vernon. Better known under the name T. Kingfisher, she creates twisted tales of body horror. A few months ago I read her popular book A House With Good Bones in two sittings. If you’ve read some horror before, you may recognize that her Sworn Soldier series of novellas is based on Edgar Allen Poe’s The Fall of the House of Usher. Kingfisher does amazing work with the grotesque and will have you squirming in your skin with her imagery. 

Emily Carroll

While I’m easily frightened at any ounce of suspense, I actually really enjoy horror and gore art. Imagine my excitement when I found out that graphic novels can be scary too! I have yet to find anyone who creates scary graphic novels with the skill of Emily Carroll. Through the Woods had me legitimately scared and When I Arrived at the Castle twisted my brain. Carroll’s art style is so distinct and compelling that I often find myself looking closer to see just exactly how she drew that blood splatter. If you want a scary story alongside beautifully chilling art, Emily Carroll is for you.

Julia LaPlante is the Vice President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Lasell. She oversees and assissts and E and S boards as well as the copy editing team. Away from Her Campus, Julia is a senior English major at Lasell. She works at Lasell's library as she studies towards her Masters in Library and Information Science. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading gothic literature, watching nerdy television shows, and walking in nature. Julia deeply believes in the importantce of mindfulness and chocolate to ones attitude.