Why Ross From Friends is a Walking Red Flag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Friends is one of the most popular comedies to ever be made, but with every great show comes that one terrible, toxic character that almost everyone can’t stand. In this case, it is Ross Geller, the on-and-off boyfriend of Rachel, Monica’s annoying older brother, the least favorite friend.

Personally, I would never want to be with someone who acts the way Ross Geller acts. First of all, he is a constantly negative person and has a negative mindset about so many situations he has been in. He always walks into a room with a sad “hey”, which brings down the mood of the entire room. He also has a tendency to pity himself in every situation, especially when he knows he is in the wrong. 

Another thing about Ross that just gets me so mad at him is the fact that he is constantly starting arguments with people in his life. And when he does not succeed in winning these little quarrels, he tends to play the victim. To go along with this, Geller also tends to not take criticism about his actions or words very well. However, ironically, he loves to put his own criticism and opinions on the people around him, like his close friends. 

Ross Geller has what is known as the “I” mentality, or in other words, he cares a lot about himself, and how things will affect him. He usually thinks about himself in situations before he thinks about how his actions may affect others. He has trouble grasping the fact that his actions can have major consequences. For example, if you have watched the show, you know the episode where the friends are at the beach house and Rachel writes Ross a letter she wants him to read. This letter is eighteen pages front and back. But Ross is too lazy and entitled to have read it all so he lies to her. This is a perfect example of his not being able to realize there can be major consequences. And when Rachel gets upset when she finds out about the lying, he acted like it was no big deal and argued with her.

I could go on forever about how terrible Ross can be at times, but I will just list this one last reason. Ross Geller has a tendency to bring up past conflicts that he created, to use against the people he loves. At the worst times, too. For instance, if you have seen the show you know about the “we were on a break” episode. He thought in the moment and took what he wanted out of the situation, and his actions truly hurt Rachel. Later on throughout the seasons, if he and Rachel were having a little conflict and she was upset with him, he would bring up the fact that they “were on a break.” I do not believe that a person should ever use things against their partner to hurt them, but this was something Ross was very good at. 

Overall, if I ever catch myself or someone I love dating somebody like Ross, I will do my best to get myself or them out of that situation. He just gives me such a big ick and could have been such a better character. However, every show needs a character like Ross, for the drama. 

Hello! My name is Olivia Prisco and I am a Psychology Major at Lasell University in the class of 2026. I am from Cape Cod, Massachusetts and I enjoy writing, playing tennis, and watching comedies. I am excited to be a part of the HER Campus community.