Why I Pay for a Barnes and Noble Membership

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s safe to say that books can be pretty expensive and it can become a pretty hard decision to decide to pay more just to have a membership. However, this may have been one of the better decisions I have made in recent years. 

I decided earlier this year to pay for the Barnes and Noble Premium Membership. As an avid reader who spends a whole lot of money on books each year, I had been debating just paying $39.99 a year for the perks that come along with it. Which have both pros and cons, but was a decision I was excited to make. 

The perks that the membership offers are 10% off of almost everything both on the website/app and in stores, 10% off almost everything at Paper Source stores, free shipping with no minimum purchase amount, a free tote bag every year you pay for a membership, and 10% off the regular price of Nook devices and accessories. Also, at any B&N with a Starbucks inside you can get a free upgrade to the next size beverage, a free B&N treat or Paper Source craft for your child’s birthday, special offers (discounts) for your birthday, early access to special editions of books and events, and lastly exclusive deals along with exclusive offers.

For me, weighing out the cost of how much I spend at B&N anyway, was a smart choice because I was gaining perks to things I would spend money on anyway. In my opinion, paying for the membership is only really worth it if you shop at Barnes and Noble frequently. I say that because it gives you the opportunity to save more money and get your money’s worth still. I would buy the tote bag anyway which is $19.99, love grabbing a Starbucks drink while shopping, and have a big problem not buying a book if it looks pretty. So considering that the membership’s cost would have been spent on similar items anyway, but because I have the membership I ended up saving so much money that I would have spent anyway. I would say in my life the premium membership was one of the best things I paid subscription-wise.

Carley Ellis

Lasell '26

Carley is a member and events director of HerCampus, she is a forensic science major in her sophomore year at Lasell University. She is also a member of other clubs on campus such as the Forensic Science Association. In her spare time she likes to read, play video games, and pick up new hobbies such as doing her own nails.