This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If I asked you to list popular rappers today, what names come to mind first? I think of names like Drake and Kanye, and an extensive list of other men who dominate the rap game. 

I have noticed that female rappers are rarely in my playlists, but not for any particular reason besides the lack of female artists that fall into the hip-hop category. Because of the largely misogynistic past of rap, the majority of recognizable names are men. Some women have gained attention such as: Nicki Minaj, Megan Thee Stallion, and Cardi B. These women have become major pop culture icons and have begun to inspire younger girls as well. However, this list is short and doesn’t demonstrate the massive amount of talented female rappers that exist. These women who are just starting out should get the recognition they deserve so the hip-hop charts can have increased representation of women.

One way that music has spread has been through Tik Tok, a video sharing app that has become extremely popular with people of different ages and backgrounds. Some artists are watching their songs become chart-toppers with the help of this app. 

Below, I have listed some up and coming female rappers for you to check out! Some of them you may have heard of, others maybe not, but I recommend giving them a listen. Also linked is one of their most popular songs.

1. Flo Milli – Upbeat and has a few Tik Tok hits

2. BIA – Bold and flashy

3. Lagloinski – Interesting and irresistible flow

There are a few to get you started, but keep your eyes out for new female artists on the rise! After all, these talented women deserve our attention too.

Anna is from Maine and is studying fashion at Lasell.