This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you know anything about me, then you know I am a big fan of Formula 1. For those of you that may not know what Formula 1 is, I will gladly explain it to you. Formula 1, or simply F1, is the highest-ranking, international, open-wheel single-seater car racing league. Think NASCAR but more elite, faster, and expensive. If this is of any interest to you, you should check out another one of my articles where I list the many reasons why Formula 1 is the best sport in the world. It is incredibly worth it, trust me. 

This sport has had a difficult time breaking into the American market because of NASCAR. However, to increase the overall following of the sport, the world of Formula 1 has been filmed by a Netflix crew. The cinematics and drama surrounding the drivers are what caught my attention back in 2020 when I was desperate for a binge-worthy show. I fell upon Drive to Survive and have since been a big fan. Drive To Survive has objectively turned Formula 1 into a reality television show. The viewers get a better understanding of how cutthroat the competition is on and off the racetrack. Because the sport is known for its elite status, it costs a pretty penny from the teams and the FIA. When millions of dollars are on the line, the determination builds from politics and money rather than just racing talent. This just makes the drama all that more entertaining. 

Formula 1 is breaking into the American media in other ways as well. Many drivers have been invited onto different talk shows or rapid-growing YouTube channels. In April of last year, five F1 drivers were selected to model and be interviewed by Vanity Fair. It became a popular marketing campaign because no one would expect F1 drivers to be open to the world of fashion. Unless of course we are talking about Lewis Hamilton who not only is known for his legendary, record-breaking career, but for his eye-catching paddock fashion. 

One thing I have learned about this sport and the media that surrounds it is that they love attention. Action, suspense, drama, humor, and attractiveness. You name it, the marketing staff for the Formula 1 team has probably tried it in terms of getting the attention of the viewer. Daniel Riccardo is known for being easily marketable, especially with his token smile and undeniable sense of humor. 

Season 5 of Drive to Survive airs on Netflix on February 24th, so we all know what I will be busy doing!

Megan Curley

Lasell '23

I'm a senior double-majoring in Hospitality and Event Management with a minor in Marketing. My hobbies include being obsessed with Formula 1, camping, and trying new things.