Vets 2 Farm: Serving Veterans Who Once Served Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Vets 2 Farm Inc. is a small, non profit organization aimed toward (but not limited to) disabled veterans looking to get back on their feet. Located in Little Falls, New York, Vets 2 Farm gives members an opportunity to heal, grow, and give back by working on a farm. The organization was started by two veterans, David Gevry and Ward Halverson, who both wanted to fill a need in the community. Vets 2 Farm not only gives participating veterans the knowledge and experience of working on a farm, it also provides natural meat and crops to the local community. Veterans working on the farm raise pigs and chickens, which are fed an all natural diet free of GMO’s, antibiotics, and hormones. The seed used on the farm is certified organic and produce is grown without pesticides or chemicals.

Vets 2 Farm is an extremely beneficial operation for veterans who are healing and recovering from physical, psychological, and emotional wounds. Working with crops and animals is incredibly therapeutic for them and they also benefit from learning how to work the farm and the science that is behind it all. Along with the farm experience, Vets 2 Farm also helps their members with reintegration services such as assisting them with case documents, continuing veterans educations, and offering a sense of community and a safe place for veterans to go.

Lasell has recently partnered with this awesome organization, and a group of marketing students are currently working to develop an annual fund marketing plan for them. As of now, the organization thrives off of donations and fundraising but they have big plans for expansion and hope to one day breed their own animals, grow their own feed, and buy a larger plot of land. You can help Vets 2 Farm with their expansion by donating to their Go Fund Me page and by following them on social media!

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Website

Photo provided by Vets 2 Farm