This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you haven’t visited your local library since elementary school, you might not know of all the new resources available to you. While the books alone are a great reason to visit the library, many libraries have expanded to offer even cooler resources. 

Technology

Not only do libraries have great technological services to use while you’re there, many now offer technology for you to take home with you. If you’re experiencing trouble with wifi, try loaning a wifi hotspot. If your laptop suddenly breaks but you need to get your assignments done, many libraries have laptops you can rent. Some libraries even offer bluetooth speakers if you’re just looking to vibe to some new music.

Libby

If you haven’t heard about Libby you’re seriously missing out! The app allows you to use your library card to loan audio and ebooks right to your phone or e-reader. Whether you like to read on-the-go or are just looking to save some money on digital books, this is a great resource.

Museum Passes

There is quite a bit of overlap between people who enjoy libraries and people who enjoy museums. The quiet atmospheres and slow browsing tend to draw similar crowds. The great news is that many libraries offer free or reduced-price passes to local museums. Are you itching to see a new exhibit but don’t want to pay the full admission price? Check to see if your library has passes you can reserve!

Library of Things

While the name varies from place to place (sometimes called Trybrary), many libraries offer non-traditional items for patrons to borrow. These things range from STEM activity kits, arts and crafts kits, board games and puzzles, to musical instruments and household tools. These resources are a great way to try out a new hobby without getting financially invested. It’s just like borrowing from a neighbor! 

It goes without saying that you should be rushing to your local library ASAP to renew your library card and open your life to countless new possibilities! 

Julia LaPlante is the Vice President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Lasell. She oversees and assissts and E and S boards as well as the copy editing team. Away from Her Campus, Julia is a senior English major at Lasell. She works at Lasell's library as she studies towards her Masters in Library and Information Science. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading gothic literature, watching nerdy television shows, and walking in nature. Julia deeply believes in the importantce of mindfulness and chocolate to ones attitude.