Top 5 Most Haunted Places in Massachusetts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

From asylums to murderous houses, to spooky tunnels and cemeteries, Massachusetts has a lot to offer when it comes to paranormal activity and ghost sightings. The history here has always been filled with these kinds of stories, and today the state is a hotspot for ghost hunters. The following places will give you the creeps, so here are the top 5 most haunted places in Massachusetts:

1. The Lizzie Borden House

In 1892, Lizzie Borden was arrested for the ax murders of her father and stepmother in Fall River. She was seen as the only likely subject of the murders but was found not guilty in 1893. To this day, the mystery still hasn’t been solved, but many do believe Lizzie Borden murdered these two innocent people. Today, the Lizzie Borden House has been transformed into a museum and a bed and breakfast, and many people have reported seeing ghosts and furniture moving on its own.

2. Danvers State Hospital

Also known as the “State Lunatic Hospital,” the asylum opened in Danvers in 1878. By the 1940s, there were regularly more than 2,000 patients and severe overcrowding, along with inhumane treatments used such as shock therapy, excessive drugs, lobotomies, and straight jackets. There are 770 bodies buried here, and although the asylum was mostly torn down and rebuilt as apartments in 2007, visitors still report screaming, banging, and crying along with other paranormal activity. 

3. Spider Gates Cemetery

This cemetery was founded by Quakers in 1740 and is rumored to be a gateway to another dimension, the “Eighth Gate to Hell,” to be specific. Legend says if you go through the other seven gates of the cemetery (which don’t exist), then enter the Spider Gates, it will lead you to another dimension. There have been several ghost sightings, strange noises, and even evidence of satanic rituals reported here. The locals say if you leave a coin on Marmaduke Earle’s gravesite, you’ll hear from the departed. 

4. Taunton State Hospital

In 1854, the Taunton asylum was opened with rumors that a satanic cult was operating it. The cult members would take patients into the basement to conduct human sacrifices and dark rituals. To this day, there are strange markings on the walls of the basement. When the hospital was still open (it was abandoned in 1975), staff reported that they would try to go to the basement, but would feel something physically stopping them before they could enter.

5. Hoosac Tunnel

This tunnel is located in North Adams and was opened in 1875 after 24 years of labor. Nearly 200 men were killed in the making of this tunnel, due to fires, drownings, and explosions. Since then, it has been nicknamed “The Bloody Pit,” with 13 miners being killed in an explosion, and 30 more people being killed in various accidents, which brought the death toll up to 250 people. The tunnel is still in use today, and there have been reports of ghost sightings and phantom lights.

#themeweek

Alexis Grant

Lasell '23

A Junior at Lasell University, Alexis majors in Journalism and Media Writing with a minor in Fashion Media and Marketing. Alexis is interested in dance, photography, social media, travel, and music. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching her favorite tv shows on Netflix and spending time with her friends and family!