Anna Schultz-Pizza At A Restaurant
Anna Schultz-Pizza At A Restaurant
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Career > Work

Things I’ve Learned From Working in the Restaurant Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I am extremely fortunate that my first two jobs were at restaurants in my hometown, both owned by the same family. I worked at a brick-oven pizza restaurant as a cashier and a diner as a host and food runner. I gained incredible life skills and I loved my coworkers. Here are some of the things I learned from working in the restaurant industry. 

How to talk on the phone:

I’m aware it’s a stereotype that Gen Z doesn’t know how to talk on the phone and my socially-anxious self fulfilled this stereotype, until I got hired at my first job. Part of my job requirement was to answer the phone, so I had to learn pretty quickly how to talk to others over a call. It was stressful at times, especially on busy nights or when I had multiple people on hold, but I eventually developed a “script” for answering calls that made it easier. I have carried this skill with me into the real world because I am now better at talking on the phone, and have even scheduled an appointment all by myself!

Confidence:

Another thing that sounds ridiculous, but working in restaurants built up my self-confidence. I became more assertive, especially when delegating tasks or communicating with my coworkers during a rush. You have to be loud when the dining room is filling up, the phone won’t stop ringing, and tickets keep printing, otherwise miscommunications occur and something will go wrong. It was difficult at first, but it wasn’t long before I was shouting “Heard!” and “Corner!” as loudly as everybody else. 

A deeper appreciation for restaurant workers:

I think restaurant workers deserve a lot more credit than they receive. This industry and the service industry in general is not easy. I would be on my feet for five to eight hours every shift, running around the restaurant to get things done. A lot of care and hard work goes into operating a restaurant, so I started to keep that in mind whenever I went out to eat. I would be more understanding if the restaurant was in a rush or if our food took longer, as I understood that a bigger ticket takes more time to prepare. I have that sense of empathy because I know how hectic it can get in the kitchen sometimes. 

Time-management skills:

There is nothing more stressful than working at a diner when the Sunday brunch rush hits. When I was hosting, my waitlist would be a mile long and I’d be hurrying around to clear tables so I could seat the next party. At the pizza restaurant, I had to coordinate when to drop food into the fryer while running to the back to complete another task. I will admit that it took me a while to develop my time-management skills, but it is definitely a strength that comes in handy in my everyday life. 

To expand my food palette:

I am probably one of the whitest, pickiest eaters to have ever lived. I refuse to eat vegetables or any kind of seafood. My coworkers would poke fun at me for being picky or being predictable in what I would eat during my shift. But once I started working at the pizza restaurant, I became more open to trying new things. I started adding more flavor into my diet and working at the diner got me to try eggs for the first time (yes, I’m almost 19 years old and had never tried eggs until this past summer). I am still pretty selective when it comes to food, but I am more willing to venture out of my comfort zone.

Olivia Post

Lasell '26

Olivia Post is the President of the Her Campus at Lasell chapter. She oversees all matters relating to the chapter, from editorial content to on-campus events. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia is a student ambassador for the Blue Key Society at Lasell. She is currently a sophomore at Lasell University, studying Secondary Education and English with a minor in Spanish. In her free time, Olivia enjoys reading, playing video games, and spending time with her roommates. She can also be found working on her latest crochet project, or watching RuPaul's Drag Race.