Life > Experiences

Things I’m happy to have done now that I’m a senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As I look back on my college life, I have come up with 5 realizations that have helped me during my time as an undergraduate. From discovering myself, to enjoying what it means to be young, here are my 5 takeaways as a senior finishing her last semester.

1. Experiencing the dorm life 

Being super nervous about what life would be like living away from home, I was grateful to have such a delightful experience. From exploring campus, to meeting great new friends and groups, and being able to do what I want whenever, I appreciate that experience.

2. Getting involved and discovering my social butterfly side 

Before Covid hit my freshman year, I knew I wanted to be a part of clubs and events on campus. However, when Covid happened and I had to stay home for a year, I knew that when I came back to campus I would complete this goal of mine, and I did! During my junior year, I spent time in Her Campus events, fashion shows, meeting new people and getting comfortable with new environments.

3. Taking time to discover myself and why I want

Being in college can make you feel nervous and anxious about doing the right things. Especially when you are watching your peers and feeling the pressure of having to do what everyone else is doing. I would occasionally think about that, and I kept in mind that I am still young and have my own path. I also made time to find what I want to do in my life and career, working to not feel bad when people around me might not agree. At the end of the day, I need to fulfill my hopes and dreams, not the idea someone else may have for me. 

4. Exploring and having fun a a college student

If I can take the time to work and set time aside to complete papers, I can take the time to have fun. I enjoyed going to fun events on campus with my friends on the weekdays. I would have mini dorm parties with just my friends when we felt like it. However, my absolute favorite tradition was to have my free Fridays, and spent the time exploring the city of Boston. The feeling of getting up early to get breakfast with my friends and then walking to the train station made every Friday feel like it was a field trip. 

5. Taking advantage of opportunities and resources nearby.

Resources on campus like the career office, professors office hours, or any accessible database on campus helped me move to my next goals. Another resource I had was the city. Being so close gave me the comfort that I had access to be involved in certain spaces nearby. From fashion shows, to fashion events, to community spaces, I took advantage of making time in those areas of Boston. 

Reflecting on my college experience these past 4 years, I’m happy with most of my memories. I’m also super excited to see and experience further fun memories post-grad! Every era may seem scary at first, but I like to see it as a wrapped present filled with so many great things. 

Jade Diaz

Lasell '23

Jade is a Senior at Lasell, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. She adores figurative art, and enjoys being creative in any way possible. She is sneaker- obsessed and loves the world of fashion. One fun fact is that her dog Finn, is named after a Star Wars character named FN-2187.