healing inner child?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
healing inner child?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Sony Pictures
Life > Experiences

Things I Miss From the 2000s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As I get older my mind always slips back to when I was growing up, and I’m reminded of how superior our toys, music, and some fashions were. While comparing the now to then objects, I note that the technology has changed, but some of the toys we had then are unbeatable now.

Here are 2000s toys I see as unbeatable:

Skip-Its: Skip-It was a toy that had a loop that went around your ankle and it had a small plastic ball attached to the end, and to use it you would sort of kick it off with one foot and try to hop over the plastic ball with the other. Though it was not invented in the 2000s it was a staple in many of our childhoods.

Bop-It: “Bop-it, Twist-it, Pull-it, Pass-it.” The make or break of a friendship in the 2000s.

Mad Libs: These were funny stories you made up by putting in an array of different adverbs, adjectives, nouns, numbers, and food to make a story that potentially made no sense. These have not fully disappeared but fully devoured the 2000s.

Lisa Frank Coloring Books: The colorful set of pages and stickers that came in the most unusual packaging really made the vibe for most girls in the 2000s. The colorful cats and tigers are always pinpointed to this packaging even when not fully known what it may be.

My Scene Dolls/ Bratz Dolls: Little explanation is needed here, but they were the correct choice for dolls in the 2000s. They were the more fashionable and inclusive dolls during this time that attempted to show a girl a doll that could represent her… rather than Barbie who did not fit most girls’ pictures of themself.

Baby Alive / Furreal Friends: The real way we showed our parents we were ready for a pet. Taking care of something that did not have life but required oh so much care and cleanup was the way to convince your parents that you were responsible. Despite them needing to spend insane amounts of money on food and diapers for the babies.

Nintendo DS: This was the move. Not exactly where gaming addictions came from but made it easier to play games everywhere, draw and share notes with friends, and having its own little texting app it was like your own cell phone without the extra expense of having a cell phone. 

Silly Bandz: Trading businesses started here. Collect them all and wear them at once. That is how Silly Bandz worked.

Zhu Zhu Pets: The cutest little hamsters, their wheels getting caught in anything from the rug to your hair. They were the cutest little fluffy friends there were.

Secret Diary: Let’s not lie, we all forgot the passwords and had to shove a pen into the little microscopic hole to unlock it. Just to hope that the invisible ink pen was in there and not dried out.

Squinkies: The weirdest but somehow most adorable rubber pencil friend. Yeah, you can’t use your eraser with this on it, but your pencil was stylish so who cared?

Elefun: The elephant whose trunk blew butterflies into the air and you had to catch them. Oh, how messy but oh so fun.

Oh and these are only some of the ones that touch the surface of my memories.

Shows/Movies that were the best of the time period:

Luck of the Irish: This would come on every St. Patrick’s Day, and even though it was extremely creepy I feel like everyone has a slight memory of the leprechaun sitting in the basketball hoop.

Halloweentown: Not much needed to be said. It was a classic.

Sid the Science Kid: This is how before school I was actually able to sit down and eat breakfast.

Super Why!: For reference, this show is still amazing… And who doesn’t love watching a superhero help his friends while teaching words/letters?

Max & Ruby: Before the dark backstory came out… Now it’s kind of odd to watch.

64 Zoo Lane: Do you not remember the little blonde girl who only had animal friends?

Little Bill: Little Bill… You know the song… and it will be stuck in your head forever.

Unfabulous: This was featuring Emma Roberts and properly is where I fell in love with her acting.

Other trends that cannot be matched are…

Tooth Tunes: I don’t care what else has to be said.. This is why I love to have a jam session with my toothbrush every time I brush my teeth. It was always so much fun until the song started to skip… but the choices were immaculate. 

Zoo Plates: As a picky eater these made my life so easy. None of my food touched and I had an awesome animal friend sitting across from me.

Carley Ellis

Lasell '26

Carley is a member and events director of HerCampus, she is a forensic science major in her sophomore year at Lasell University. She is also a member of other clubs on campus such as the Forensic Science Association. In her spare time she likes to read, play video games, and pick up new hobbies such as doing her own nails.