Life > Experiences

These Fictional Characters Set My Standards Too High

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Have you ever been watching a movie or television show and a character acted in a way you wish people in your life did? I have seen so many movies and shows where my standards were heightened for relationships in my life because a character was written so well. Here is a list of some fictional characters that raised my standards for relationships. Before reading, there are some spoiler alerts for these movies and shows. 

1. Noah Calhoun from The Notebook 

Need I even say more? He waited half his life for her! This man wrote 365 letters to a woman who did not even get the chance to read them until years later. This has always been my favorite romantic drama, and I feel like Noah really raises the standards that we have for the men, or any significant other, in our lives. Not only did he wait a big portion of his life to be with this woman, but once they got old and she developed dementia, he wrote a book about their story! He would read this book to her every single day. To me, this was a beautiful love story, and if my significant other is not that romantic I do not want them. 

1. Luke from Gilmore Girls 

Luke is such a good character in this show. He is another character who waits for the person he loves to be ready for him. He waited eight years! I think my favorite part is that he kept a photo of her in his wallet because he was so in love with her. Luke always cared so much about Lorelai’s well-being, but he also cared so much about her daughter. He was more of a father to her daughter than her biological dad was. I feel like that really shows a lot about his personality and the great man he is. 

1. Flynn Rider from Tangled 

Flynn Rider’s personality is perfect. Although in the beginning of the movie he was questionable, by the end of the movie he was such a loveable character. He is funny, cares for Rapunzel, and confident. At the beginning, he is very cocky, but later on in the movie one of his top priorities is ensuring Rapunzel’s safety and happiness. My favorite part is when he takes her to see the lights she has been dreaming of her entire life. He risks his life for her! 

These fictional characters, along with many others, have raised the standards I have. They all just have such good energy and amazing personality traits that I often also look for in the people I talk to.

Hello! My name is Olivia Prisco and I am a Psychology Major at Lasell University in the class of 2026. I am from Cape Cod, Massachusetts and I enjoy writing, playing tennis, and watching comedies. I am excited to be a part of the HER Campus community.