Style > Decor

The Things You Need for You Dorm That Aren’t On Any Packing List

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Welcome back to school! For us at Lasell, it’s been our first week of classes and it’s already so exciting. One thing I wasn’t expecting to worry about so much would be decorations for my dorm. Now, being a whole different person from when I was a freshman, it makes me appreciate having a dorm much more. A dorm is a blank slate that I get to put my own touches on! Already having one year of living on campus under my belt, I already had a good idea of what I wanted to add to my room (and some things that could be helpful and cute!).

1. Fairy Lights. 

It’s a no-brainer. They’re cute and make sense to have. I have them right next to my bed so that I can have them plugged in for when I want to read in bed or do some homework. These ones from Target are only 5 dollars and are a pretty long strand for one box. I recommend getting at least two so you have even more length to play around with! 

1. Fake Flowers.

Who says you have to get real flowers?! I got the idea due to my partner getting me a really pretty vase but hating the idea of having dead flowers in my dorm in about a week. So, one trip to Michaels later, I got some marbles and some fake flowers to fill my vase with! Make sure to grab them in your favorite color to make your room pop! 

1. Shelves.

If you’re trying to go for that boho vibe then this is it for you. These hanging shelves are so in style right now! It gives you the option to add in some little decorations such as little plants and knick-knacks. Plus, by using command strips to hold them up, it’s way easier to take them down at the end of the year (and a great way to avoid losing your dorm damages deposit).

1. Back Support Pillow.

This is the one thing that I can never live without: my back pillow. It’s great for extra support in bed whether you want to read or online shop on your laptop. It’s so comfy and easy to carry! Don’t be surprised when you end up loving it so much that you take it home with you on the weekends.

There you are! Four things you’re going to use every day in your dorm that you won’t really find on any of those packing lists.

Hello there! I am Yalines Medrano and I am a Forensic Science major at Lasell University with the class of 2024. I am from Peabody, Massachusetts and I love to read, watch anime, and hang out with friends! I am so excited to be involved in HER Campus!