The Perfect Playlist for Driving with the Windows Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you know me, you know that two of my favorite things are driving and blasting music. If you put those two together, it puts me in the best mood possible, especially when it’s warm and you can roll the windows down. There is never a time when I feel more alive. Along with this, it is also no secret that I love making playlists for every possible mood. With that being said, I want to share my top picks that I think make a perfect playlist for driving with the windows down.

1. Ophelia” by The Lumineers

I feel like this is a song that everyone, no matter who’s in the car, loves and will sing along to. It’s such a feel-good, summery song that will always make me smile.

1. Everybody Talks” by Neon Trees

This song is perfect for jamming with your friends on a road trip. It’s a very nostalgic song that everyone will know and be able to dance along to. This is one of those songs that helps me connect with my younger self and brings back happy memories. 

1. Mr. Brightside” by The Killers

“Mr. Brightside” is a staple no matter where you are: school dance, dancing alone in your room, or driving in your car. I feel like this song fits the “coming of age” description perfectly and makes me feel like I’m in a movie. 

1. Electric Love” by BØRNS

This song has nothing but good vibes. Every time I listen to it, I am immediately transported to summer, with my friends, dancing at the creek. Have you ever seen those TikTok edits where people make montages of their summer highlights? That’s what this song feels like.

1. Kilby Girl” by The Backseat Lovers

“Kilby Girl” is just such a feel-good song. With the catchy lyrics, upbeat instrumentals, and growing anticipation, it is the perfect song to vibe to. With this one, you can dance around or simply bop your head to the beat and still have a mood boost.

1. Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears For Fears

I think a lot of people can agree with me on this one, but when I hear this song I have an instant serotonin boost. I feel like I’ve been transported in time and I’m living out my “coming of age” dream.

1. I Can’t Handle Change” by ROAR

This song isn’t as happy as the rest, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t blast it just as loud. If you haven’t heard this one before, it has a super long, but captivating build-up, before releasing a huge beat drop that makes you feel like you’re as light as air.

1. Cigarette Daydreams” by Cage The Elephant

Again, another staple to the “coming of age” movie aesthetic. This song makes me forget all of my worries and makes me remember why I’m here. It’s a soft, yet intense, song that makes you feel so many emotions at once.

1. The Spins” by Mac Miller

I feel like everyone can agree with me on this one. This is the song for summer, going out with your friends, and making memories. I have never had a bad memory associated with this song and no matter where you play it, everyone will thank you for turning it on.

1. Can’t Take My Eyes off You” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

You’ve got to have another throwback in this list, and this song is the perfect candidate. Everyone needs a good old song to add to their playlist and this love-filled, upbeat, beltable song is a perfect choice. 

1. The Great Gig In The Sky” by Pink Floyd

Have you ever wanted to feel like you’re levitating? This song will do it for you. It starts off a little slow… but trust me, it’s well worth the listen. Though there aren’t many lyrics to sing along to, you can feel this one playing throughout your body and that is all you need.

Hello! My name is Kaylee Kentzel. I am a Psychology major and a Forensic Criminology minor at Lasell University with the class of 2026. I enjoy reading, listening to music, watching and reviewing new movies, traveling, and taking photos!