This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

So it all started with me doing what I do best: shopping at Sephora. I was browsing and looking over the makeup tools section when I came over a single silver blade. Me, liking shiny things, picked it up and added it to my tote bag and purchased it. As I was checking out, the cashier was looking over at me and asked me if I knew how to use it. I blankly looked over at them and silently shook my head no. They suggested that I research how to do it before I blindly start scraping my face, which TBH is good advice. In my research, I came up with a lot of informative tips on the subject of dermaplaning, so enjoy:

What is Dermaplaning? 

Dermaplaning is the procedure of basically shaving your face. If it’s performed in a doctor’s office, it can do way more than just that. But if you want to DIY it at home, the most you’re going to do is remove that annoying peach fuzz and make your skin feel super baby soft. It also helps set a smooth canvas for foundation whenever you’re ready to apply makeup. It can be a great addition to your exfoliating skin routine, that is if your skin type agrees with it. If you have sensitive skin, it’s recommended not to do it yourself, but rather to seek a professional to get the best results. If your skin is anything like mine, it’s been around the block once or twice with trying new skincare products with little to no reaction, so it’s worth a shot. 

What are the benefits? 

Since it’s shaving your face you are going to see some quick beneficial results to it. Some results can be a baby’s butt smooth surface and brighter skin. It also is removing dead skin cells, so your current skincare products will get deeper into the layers of your skin, thus making them more effective. If you’re DIYing like yours truly, the majority you’re gonna do is get rid of peach fuzz and some dead skin cells. If you want the whole spa day type treatment, it’s recommended to contact a skilled professional. 

Are there any cons to it? 

There’s, of course, the risk of cutting your face (it is of course a blade on your face, so there will be some risk), and your skin may be red for a few minutes afterward. Also, be sure to buy a pack of blades. You can use the same blade a max of three times, then be sure to change it out. Again, if you are prone to breakouts or sensitive skin, you may want to skip this.  

Speaking of breakouts, will this cause more breakouts? 

On the contrary! Since it is removing the dead skin cells on your pores and hair follicles, (which we know block your skincare products from going deep within your skin layers and causing pimples), it should have the opposite effect.

How much does it cost? 

Look I get it, it’s a blade on your face, and you want to keep that task for the professionals. If you would like to see a professional about it, get ready to spend about $150 to $250 per treatment. Keep in mind, depending on where you are, the price could be different. 

How often should I dermaplane?

Professionals recommend doing it once a month. Since it’s an exfoliating treatment, it isn’t needed every day. 

How do I take care of my skin afterward?

You can keep your current skincare routine and make sure to wear your SPF afterward! Just be sure to be gentle with your skin, especially after the first time. 

In conclusion…

If you aren’t prone to breakouts and your skin isn’t sensitive, it’s a pretty low-risk way to exfoliate your skin. It’s important to remember, if you want to remove some peach fuzz, some dead skin cells from the surface layer of your skin, and are comfortable with yourself, you can shave your face at home with the proper blade, some facial cleanser, some SPF, and your favorite gentle face moisturizer. If you want the full nine-yard procedure, it is best to contact a professional. 

Hello there! I am Yalines Medrano and I am a Forensic Science major at Lasell University with the class of 2024. I am from Peabody, Massachusetts and I love to read, watch anime, and hang out with friends! I am so excited to be involved in HER Campus!