This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In my early childhood, specifically the 3rd grade, an assignment everyone had to do was to choose an animal and research it. After that, we would have to make posters, draw a picture of the animal, and cut out a hole where you would peek your head through while you present – it was quite embarrassing. When I did this assignment, I decided to do a tiger when at the last minute, I changed my idea completely to the jellyfish. This decision would change my life. 

I developed an intense interest in everything jellyfish, constantly researching it even after the project and up until 6th grade. I loved them so much that I even considered becoming a marine biologist, although thankfully I came to the wonderful conclusion to not do that due to my crippling thalassophobia, (fear of the ocean). 

Due to this wonderful hyper fixation since childhood, one that I still go back to, I decided to share the jellyfish I find most interesting and why. Overall jellyfish are interesting creatures because they are living dinosaurs and lack a lot of organs most creatures have.

1. Bloodybelly Comb (Lampocteis Cruentiventer)

These jellies are known for their bold red coloration. Most jellyfish appear to have more muted colors, some just plain clear – like the moon jelly, but these are bright. Not to mention, thanks to their bioluminescence, they have rows of ‘lights’ going down their bodies, like a disco ball!

1. Upside Down (Cassiopeidae)

The upside-down jellyfish is interesting to look at. They tend to stay towards the ocean floor because, unlike most sea jellies, their tentacles face upwards while most face downwards. 

1. Sea Wasp (Chironex Fleckeri)

The sea wasp is scarier looking than weird, to be honest. The way its tentacles look like wispy hairs extending out and far. Not to mention, their stinging contains venom, making these suckers highly venomous.

1. Moon (Aurelia Aurita)

The moon jellyfish is a very beautiful sea jelly. Its design on the bulb resembles a four-leaf clover and has a very elegant look. It moves with grace as it lacks any tentacles to get in the way. It is by far the safest jellyfish since it is weird in the sense that, unlike other jellies, it can’t sting.

1. Lion’s Mane (Cyanea capillata)

This one is not too special other than the fact that it’s the biggest jellyfish we know of. Massing 120 ft long tentacles with over 1,200 of them as well as being seven feet in diameter, this one takes the cake. If I saw this thing in person, I would be utterly terrified simply because once you are too close… you might as well start praying you do not get caught and stung.

She/they LGBTQ+ Lasell '26 Graphic Design Major