Style > Decor

The Best and Worst Things in My Single Dorm

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Moving into college can be an adjustment, whether you’re living with a roommate for the first time or if you’ve got a single dorm. Having things to help you relax is key to creating a space that you want to live in. This year I have a single dorm, and living by myself has become a very interesting adjustment with its own ups and downs. 

The best things in my dorm

A projector: This is my favorite way to watch a movie at night. I got mine on Amazon, but you can also get them at Walmart or most other big retail stores. I like to put the picture up on my closet and lay in bed with a snack or tea to wind down after a long day. 

A lamp: Dorm lighting is disgusting at its finest. It’s fluorescent and always a large overhead light that is too bright at night and just harsh in general. As someone who gets really bad migraines, I find that I like a small lamp next to my bed so I can do homework or read without having the overhead light on.

An AC Unit: This is purely circumstantial, and in my case, I can have one in my window. Especially during the first few weeks after moving in, the dorms are muggy and humid and it is not comfortable to be in. I am extremely lucky to have an AC which keeps my room freezing, but a fan is also usually pretty helpful.

Keurig K-Iced / Coffee Bar: First year I never really used the Keurig that my roommate had because I’ve never been a huge fan of hot coffee. So this year I splurged and got myself a Keurig Iced which allows me to make hot and iced coffee. Along with that, I have an array of coffee flavors and I keep the little coffee bar next to my mini fridge and microwave. This is always my favorite thing in my room to show people and let people use because it is unbelievably adorable and convenient to not waste money.

Ottoman: This is probably the best way for me to get in and out of my bed. As someone relatively short it can be pretty hard to get into the dorm beds, and having a cute stool is always helpful. Plus you now have extra storage in your room for all things you don’t want to leave out!

The worst things in my dorm

Extra Plastic Totes: I have to keep them under my bed since I had to bring all of my things and could not rely on someone else to bring things.

Whiteboard: I rarely use it and it has become where I put magnets and papers to remind myself of things I need to do.  My bed desk/table: I don’t really ever use it and much rather sit at my desk to do my homework or makeup.

Carley Ellis

Lasell '26

Carley is a member and events director of HerCampus, she is a forensic science major in her sophomore year at Lasell University. She is also a member of other clubs on campus such as the Forensic Science Association. In her spare time she likes to read, play video games, and pick up new hobbies such as doing her own nails.