This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Coffee is great; it tastes good, it wakes me up in the morning, and I can keep it basic or make it fun. I’ve only been drinking coffee on the daily for about three years. I (surprisingly to most people) usually stick to black. Cream makes it too bland and sugar makes it too sweet. But for me, black coffee is perfect. I was reading a “Super Coffee” article on black coffee and found some surprising facts on the benefits of black coffee, so keep reading to find out more about these: 

A little info on the history of coffee:

The earliest evidence of drinking coffee can be seen around the 15th century, beginning in the Yemeni district of Arabia. Over the centuries, coffee has become much more unique for each individual as they can decide if they want milk or sugar, if they want it frozen or blended, or even if they want to add in some special flavors. Recent statistics show that out of 100 million Americans who drink coffee, 35% of them take their coffee black.

Here are some of the benefits of drinking black coffee:

1. Lowers your risk for Type 2 diabetes

By drinking black coffee, studies have shown that it can decrease the risk for developing Type 2 diabetes. One study concluded that depending on the level of coffee consumption, the risk can lower anywhere from 25% to 50%. It seems that it has to do with the development of higher insulin sensitivity, which increases the ability to process glucose. 

1. Antioxidant Protection

Coffee beans are very high in multiple types of antioxidants. Two types, polyphenols and quinies, are shown to be retained in brewed coffee. These antioxidants help prevent oxidative stress, which can cause illnesses.

1. Reduction in Neurodegenerative Diseases

Drinking black coffee has shown to have a positive effect on cognitive function and memory performance. When studies were conducted on coffee’s effect on developing neurodegenerative diseases, it was discovered that drinking black coffee actually helps to significantly reduce the chance of development. Two specific disorders coffee has a positive effect on are Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. 

1. Boosts Heart Health

Despite what people may think, drinking coffee does not actually carry any cardiovascular risk. In fact, it’s been shown that caffeine widens blood vessels; an improvement in blood circulation and blood flow promotes cardiovascular health. By drinking black coffee the risk of heart failure can be dropped by as much as 12% per cup of coffee consumed per day. 

1. Longer Life

Overall, the benefits of black coffee can help lead to living a longer life. Female black coffee drinkers have a 26% lower risk of death than non-black-coffee drinkers; males have a 20% lower risk of death compared to non-black-coffee drinkers. 

As someone who drinks black coffee regularly, I understand that it may not always be the most pleasant taste. It can be very bitter or strong at times, but that’s definitely a reason why it wakes me up in the morning. However, there are a lot of benefits to drinking it, so I definitely think other coffee drinkers should consider it!

Jade Durkee

Lasell '25

Hi! I'm Jade Durkee, I'm a junior Psychology major at Lasell University. I'm from Hopatcong, New Jersey. I love reading, video games, crocheting, and playing piano.