Taylor Swift’s New Reputation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Taylor Swift released her sixth album, “Reputation,” on Nov. 10.  Fans worldwide waited until midnight to download the album to see what Swift had produced.  In recent years, Swift has moved away from her original country side and broke into the pop scene.  She’s been involved in a lot of drama recently, seemingly because of this new image she wished to portray, therefore people were curious as to what this new album would be about and sound like.  

Reputation sounds like 2008/2010 Taylor Swift remixed.  The lyrics have similar trends that she has used on previous albums, and with the pop music in the back it sounds as if she wrote these lyrics years ago and recorded the music in 2017.  The lyrics are still catchy and repetitive, one of her signatures, yet they are all unique.  I feel as if Swift did use her breakups with Calvin Harris and Tom Hiddleston as inspiration, but it was just enough and not too much.  She also uses the energy she got from the drama with the Kardashians and Kanye West, giving her album an edge as it was not just about boys she’s dated.  

Swift does not dwell on one certain topic as she has in other albums.  “Reputation” is Swift’s most diverse album yet.  She mixes R&B, hip-hop and pop all in one and it is evident in her voice.  Each song has unique music to match which genre she wishes that song be considered.  In “End Game” she collabs with Ed Sheeran and Future, and Swift holds her own in this song.  “Delicate” hints that she may be in a new relationship or looking towards the future to be in one.  The lyric “my reputation’s never been worse, so you must like me for me…” is her telling us she knows she’s not viewed on the grounds she used to be, but that someone likes her for her or that she wants someone to.  “Don’t Blame Me”, “…Ready For It?”, and “I Did Something Bad” stick out as her lessons on this album.  She does not want fans to blame her for the way she acted, she realizes she made a mistake… and are you ready for it?

She’s back.