Taylor Swift’s Midnights Review & Track Ranking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Taylor Swift formally announced the release of her 10th album (Technically 12 albums with 2 additional albums, which are rerecorded Taylor’s Versions of her older work) during her MTV Video Music Award acceptance speech on August 28th, 2022. After much anticipation, Swift’s 10th album, Midnights, was recently released on October 21st, 2022. In true Taylor Swift chaotic and surprise behavior, she released 7 more tracks on release night at 3 a.m., calling the extended album Midnights (3 am Edition).

As an avid Swiftie, I was not hooked on the album upon first listening. It is new and innovative from her earlier work. Tracks like Lavender Haze and Midnight Haze appear like brand-new sounds for Swift. Every “era” or album for Swift usually has a brand-new sound with some slight familiarity with other elements of her previous work. Upon my second listen, I am in love with the album. Swift brings in some of the pop sounds from her other albums 1989, Reputation, and Lover with a new, unique twist. It is heavily influenced by her long-time producer, Jack Antonoff, who excels in his work, especially on the previously mentioned albums. After a multitude of listens, I am infatuated with the album. The lyrics are so honest and vulnerable, while still featuring fun songs to dance to, like Bejeweled. Although this album is adored by Swifties, I think a new pop-loving listener would enjoy the album. Here is the ranking of my favorite tracks from both releases ranked from least favorite to most favorite…

13. Sweet Nothing

12. Vigilante Sh*t

11. Labyrinth

10. Maroon

9. Mastermind

8. Snow on the Beach

7. You’re on Your Own, Kid

6. Bejeweled

5. Question…?

4. Anti-Hero

3. Lavender Haze

2. Midnight Rain

1. Karma

7. Dear Reader

6. Glitch

5. High Infidelity

4. The Great War

3. Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve

2. Bigger Than The Whole Sky

1. Paris

Isabelle is a Sophmore Elementary Education major at Lasell! She also is working towards her minor in History. On campus, Isabelle is involved in HerCampus, Habitat for Humanity, Tomorrow's Teachers, and Empty Bowls. Her hobbies include yoga, listening to Taylor Swift, and thrifting!