This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

What Is It? 

What is shifting realities? This phenomenon often gets confused with lucid dreaming, and while it is similar, they are not the same. Shifting realities is moving one’s subconscious mind to a different reality of your choosing. If you are not one to believe in spiritual kinds of things this probably sounds like a joke. But if like me, you are a spiritual soul, keep reading! * A small preface, everyone’s shifting journey is different, so I strongly encourage you to do your research, this article merely introduces the phenomenon. *

A Little Background 

The idea of shifting realities has been around for a long time but gained rapid popularity in the fall of 2020 when Harry Potter TikTok took off. People started sharing more openly about shifting and TikTok was and still is a platform that was a way to share information that would reach maximum people in a minimal amount of time. If you are on ShiftTok, then you would know that a lot of people shift their subconscious to a reality where they exist in Hogwarts. However, you don’t have to shift to Hogwarts, there are endless realities. People can shift to the MCU, Criminal Minds, or even a reality where everything is the same but you are famous, it is up to you. 

Okay, But How do I do this? 

For beginners, having a method might make things easier and help you gather your thoughts, although a method is not required, you just have to have the intent. Methods are like a guide to help you get to your desired reality. There are awake and sleep methods, I enjoy sleeping methods more, but whatever works for you. The one thing that all methods agree on, and if chose not to use a method you should do this part anyway, is to meditate. It is such a great way to clear your mind, as well as open your mind and subconscious to the idea. I use guided methods and meditations because I can control my wandering mind better. I use “Elle S.M. ‘s Meditations” on Spotify. I can say in my attempts, the times I did not meditate beforehand, I didn’t feel confident or like I got close to shifting. If like me, you need a place to organize your thoughts, you can also try scripting. While this isn’t necessary, it can be helpful. I have linked a more in-depth resource about scripting as this idea needs its article: How to Script for Shifting {FREE Shifting Script Template!} – Mental Style Project

The Methods

The most popular methods include the Raven Method and the Sunni Method. But again, do your research, what works for me, might not work for you. You can even make up your method or combine methods. The Raven Method is getting into a comfortable position, preferably laying down as this is a sleeping method, and counting to 100. In between each number say an affirmation such as; “I am shifting”, “I am in my desired reality”, and “I give myself permission to shift.” You can either say many different affirmations or just repeat the same one. Once you reach 100 if you haven’t fallen asleep (which it is okay if you do) just repeat affirmations and visualize your desired reality until you fall asleep and you should wake up in your desired reality. The Sunni method uses the five senses and can be used as an awake or sleep method. Again start in a comfortable position. Next, visualize that you are in your desired reality. Name 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and one thing you can taste, then you can fall asleep and you should wake up in your desired reality. 

Symptoms and Misconceptions 

While you are doing your method you may feel symptoms such as you feel like the room is spinning, you may feel tingly, or like you are having an out-of-body experience. You also may not feel any symptoms at all, again, and I cannot stress this enough, everyone’s journey is different. You can still shift if you don’t do a method or don’t have symptoms. Moreover, a lot of people say you have to lay flat on your back and not move at all. And while it is recommended you stay relatively still, it is not required. 

You Can Do it 

It is normal to feel burnout or need a break, shifting realities takes a lot out of a person because you have to focus all your energy on your attempt. It is okay to take breaks from trying and come back to it when you are ready. The universe introduced this concept to you for a reason, and you can do it. I did not get to cover everything in this article, but if this sounds interesting, I highly encourage you to do your research. Two of my favorite ShiftTokers are KourtCrux111 and theherbologywitch. They post great motivation, tips, and tricks, and are overall a great resource for beginners and even non-beginners. Go do that research, and go shift besties, your comfort character is waiting for you!

Ceci Wood

Lasell '24

Ceci is a Senior at Lasell University and is studying English. In her free time, you can find her reading, writing, making some banging playlists, or playing the sims!