Style > Fashion

Six Casual Halloween Costumes From Your Closet

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I love Halloween, but not the overpriced, often cheaply made costumes that contribute to “over 5.4 million kilograms of textile waste . . . produced by businesses and consumers throwing away Halloween costumes”. I’m also not the kind of crafty person that can whip up a home-sewn costume. However, I like to think that there are a lot of casual costumes that you can pull right out of your closet. These low-key costumes are also perfect if you want to get into the Halloween spirit without standing out too much on a regular day. 

1. Velma Dinkley

I’m a big Scooby Doo fan, so I have to start off with a few members of the gang. Velma is a classic (and my favorite lesbian icon) – all you need is a red skirt, orange top, orange socks, and red shoes. You don’t have to stick to her uniform perfectly either: as long as you get Velma’s signature colors and silhouette, people are probably going to recognize who you are.

1. Daphne Blake

Similarly, Daphne’s is a great look to replicate for Halloween. Again, focusing on her signature shades: a purple dress and green scarf to tie around your neck are really all you need, and you can build and customize from there. If you’re lucky enough to own a pair of go-go boots (I’m jealous), you can really pay homage to Sarah Michelle Gellar’s live-action interpretation.

1. Kiki from Kiki’s Delivery Service

This is one I’m thinking of putting together myself this year. A simple dark blue dress and black shoes get you halfway there. Stick a red bow or ribbon in your hair and you’ll look just like the iconic little witch! Take it an extra step with an old broom and any black cats you come across.

1. Vampire

All you need here is a slinky black or dark-toned dress. The makeup here is really key! A pale look and a little bit of fake blood will have you looking like a bloodsucker in no time.

1. Scarecrow

If you have a flannel or any plaid-patterned clothing, you can easily create a scarecrow costume. Throw on your favorite pair of ripped jeans or overalls and a straw hat and you’ll not only have the easiest costume, you’ll be comfortable too.

1. Waldo

I can say from experience that, though this guy is hard to find, his look is easy to copy. I already wear glasses, so it was only a matter of taping some black circles onto them, and taping white fabric that I cut from old unused clothing onto a red sweater. If you’ve got a red beanie, you’re all set, and at least if you buy one you can continue to re-wear it, especially as winter approaches.

Shop your closet and see what else you can create!

Inès Dupupet is the Editor-in-Chief at Lasell University's Her Campus chapter, overseeing the team of copy editors and keeping track of articles. As a junior at Lasell, studying fashion and history, she hopes to become an archivist or librarian. She loves to write, experiment with fashion, play cozy videogames, and spend time with her cat.