Shameless Star Ethan Cutkosky Charged with DUI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

On Nov. 2, Shameless star Ethan Cutkosky had been arrested and booked for a DUI in Los Angeles, California, as TMZ originally reported. Apparently, the 18-year-old actor, best known for playing bad boy Carl Gallagher, had been driving his orange BMW at unsafe speeds and straddling traffic lanes late that night when the police pulled him over. The officers claimed to smell the distinct scent of burnt marijuana and that Cutkosky admitted to smoking that night. Hours after his arrest he was released on bail of $5,000 and received a court date of Nov. 29, but law enforcement has said he could face up to six months in prison, a loss of his license, and a $1,000 fine.

In the hit Showtime series, Cutkosky’s character has a serious rebellious side, dealing meth, ending up in a juvenile detention center, and drinking from a young age. This incident has sparked memes and jokes about Cutkosky’s arrest, relating to how Frank (William H. Macy) would be proud of him and how Cutkosky wanted to live like his character. Although these are simply jokes, viewers should recognize the series is incredibly dramaticized and incidents like these should not be taken lightly. This accident should be a warning to teens, as it reveals that no one is immune to the police no matter their fame or wealth, and driving under the influence, no matter who you are, has severe consequences and can affect not only the driver’s life, but others as well.

Co-star William H. Macy commented on the incident, saying, “He’s great. He’s a great kid,” Macy told PEOPLE Now. “I’m gonna kick him in the butt when I see him, because I was there when he was trying to pick out which car to get…”

Macy goes on to say how it is difficult to grow up in the spotlight and “I did tell him, ‘Don’t get a hot car because trust me, it’s hard to keep your foot off the accelerator, and you’re young and dumb and the cops are looking for you.’ I lectured him about all that stuff, but people make mistakes, and nobody got hurt.”

It is nice to see that the Shameless stars look out for each other and recognize mistakes. Although Cutkosky is young and is definitely going to make mistakes, we can only hope he will improve and recognize his wrongdoings and use this as a lesson to stop himself and others from driving under the influence, even if it is marijuana and not alcohol.

Madi is a sophomore Fashion Communciations major at Lasell College. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is also a part of Empty Bowls and is a Peer Mentor. She loves Harry Styles, hanging out with friends, and thrift shopping.