Sara’s Food for Thought: The Hot Pot (AKA The Best Food Ever Invented)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Looking to find the hottest new foodie spots around the Greater Boston area?  Or maybe some hidden menu secrets in your favorite go-to chains?  We’ve got your back.  

Introducing Sara’s Food for Thought, a weekly segment and basically your new bible for everything food related.  Time to sit back, relax, and prepare to get hungry.

This is Sara’s food blog again after a long hiatus.

This week we will talk about the hot pot.

For those who don’t know what a hot pot is, it is a dish where you cook raw ingredients from thinly sliced meat to vegetables in a boiling broth of your choice. This dish also originated in Eastern Asia.

This dish can be made at home easily but it can also be found in restaurants in a buffet format.  

Personally, I totally dig the whole all you can eat because most people won’t judge you for how much you ate.

The vegetables that you get a large variety. A few ingredients but not limited to are lettuce, Chinese spinach, rapeseed vegetable, baby bok choy, lotus root, potatoes, shiitake mushrooms, enoki, variations of tofu, and kabocha squash.

Then the meats that you’re able to get are beef, pork, and lamb. That is precut for you, if you make it on your own then you cut it like you were to eat stir-fry. Another option you also get is seafood were you would get shrimp, lobster, mussels, bass, salmon, squid, fish cakes, and more.

Other additions that you can get are the noodles and the broth. As most people are aware there are many types of noodles, therefore there is a large range of options. For example, ho fun, rice stick noodles, and more. The broths come also in many variations that very buy locations. 

The basic idea is that you dip your chosen ingredients into the broth and let it cook for a short time until you can take it out. In which you then can eat with different sauces and rice to accompany it.

Honestly hot pots are one of the most amazing things in the world and something that should be more mainstream (aka please open more shops with it).

Credit: Author

A Hot Pot in Boston

Sara Nahoun is the Social Media Director for HerCampus Lasell Chapter. She's a Fashion Design and Production Major with Minors in Photography and Graphic Design at Lasell University. Often she is found in the sewing lab or in her room taking a nap. She also spends her past time collecting reaction photos and memes off of social media to pass time.