Rocking Out With the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is currently making its way around New England for the holiday season, and I was able to make a trip to see their 8:00 pm show at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH.

Normally when you hear the word ‘orchestra’, you tend to think of something like The Boston Pops, with many classical instruments and music. However, “TSO” incorporates both classical music and rock music. Could it be considered…classic rock? All right, maybe not. However, they rocked out for two and a half hours straight, not even stopping for an intermission.

The first half of the show is narrated by Bryan Hicks, a regular on the TSO Tour, and Hicks tells a story about the “Ghost of Christmas Eve”. This is a new story on the tour debuted this year, and it alternated in between the story being told and the music accompanying it. Truthfully, the story part of the show can get boring at times. However, once it jumps back into the music, you find yourself moving your head to the beat of the drum and the ridiculously good guitar.

The second half is all music, with both TSO’s new material and their classic hits. There are singers, keyboardists, a drummer, a string section (which changes in every area, as the players are part of local orchestras), a lead violinist and three guitarists. Something great about a TSO show is the ever changing stage production. Pyrotechnics fill the stage, video screens in the background transport you to another world, lasers shoot out into the arena constantly, and parts of the stage actually move. There are two platforms that rise up in the air, bringing the performers even closer to the audience.

Even with all these different aspects of the show going on, the best part would have to be the lead guitarists and violinist. Roddy Chong, who has been the lead violinist since 2010, is completely full of energy. He runs from one side of the stage to the other and runs through the crowd at a few different times, never missing a note. The two guitarists, Chris Caffery and Bill Hudson, and the bassist, David Z, seem like they would belong to a hard rock band with how much they “shred” on their guitars. They always seem to look like they’re having fun. Whether they’re doing choreographed hair flipping or are just doing Irish jigs during a song, the audience can tell they love their job. These four musicians are the focal point of the show, and they don’t let you forget it.

If you know of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s most popular songs “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo” and “Wizards in Winter”, you don’t want to miss this epic show full of rock, hair flips and fire. TSO will be back in Providence, RI on December 16th at the Dunkin Donuts Center and in Boston, MA on December 17th at the TD Garden, so get your tickets now!

*Pictures Courtesy of Danie Roberts

Danie is a 2018 graduate of Lasell College. She served as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Lasell for two years, and wrote all four years. Danie also worked for Her Campus as a Community Management intern for two semesters, and was a National Feature Writer for six months. Danie studied Communication with concentrations in Journalism and Public Relations. She is currently seeking opportunities in the editorial or music industry. Follow her on all platforms at @raniedoberts and check out her website, raniedoberts.com.