Riverdale’s Sweet Pea is Definitely a Cancer- Here’s the Proof

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

*Spoiler Alert: This Article Contains Spoilers for a TV Show that is Currently Airing*

Oh Sweet Pea, Riverdale’s very own tall drink of sweet water. Ever since his very first appearance in season 2, I always knew there was something special about him. Then one day it all made sense, he *must* be a cancer.  Here’s the proof:

• His hard shell:

When we were first introduced to Sweet Pea he’s a tough cookie who doesn’t easily let his guard down, a very cancer trait. But by the end of season 2 we start to see his softer side.

• His public displays of affection:

Cancer’s are the lovers of the zodiac. This super romantic sign is totally cool with some poolside PDA like in season 3 episode 1.

• His need for commitment:

When Josie invites him to her mom’s wedding reception, he makes it clear that Josie needs to be serious about him and not her plaything when she’s bored. Cancers thrive in monogamous relationships and usually aren’t the hookup type.

• His passion and loyalty:

Casting Sweet Pea as J.D in the school’s production of Heathers: The Musical was no coincidence. Even if his hard shell makes him hide it, Sweet Pea (like the traditional cancer) loves fast, hard and deep in both romantic and platonic relationships. Despite not always seeing eye to eye, he’s always loyal to Serpent King Jughead and would go to the ends of the earth for his BFF Fangs.

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.