Life > Experiences

Random Acts of Kindness to Show on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

One of my favorite things about Valentine’s Day is the shift from being considered a strictly “romantic” holiday to a celebration of relationships of any type, as well as a celebration of kindness. One of the best ways to enjoy celebrating this holiday is by performing random acts of kindness! A random act of kindness is defined as performing a kind act for one or more people, which is often not planned ahead or something that is done frequently. Here are some ideas to help you think about some random acts of kindness that you could perform!

1. Connect with Somebody

Think of that one person that you haven’t talked with in too long. Maybe it’s a family member that you don’t see as much now that you’re at school, an old friend, or even a coworker. Take some time out of your day to send them a text or give them a call to check in and see how they’re doing! While it will be a great chance for you to catch up, they’ll probably enjoy the fact that you decided to reach out after a while most of all!

1. Give Someone a Gift, Just Because!

Many people label their love language to be that of giving or receiving gifts. The best part about this activity is that a gift doesn’t need to be anything expensive. There are some gifts on the cheaper side that would make a friend very happy, such as flowers or a card, or bring a smile to a complete stranger, such as paying it forward in the drive-through line. Some gifts can be completely free! Writing a kind note to someone or donating something you might not need anymore are also good ways to pass on a gift.

1. Spread Some Positivity 

An easy way to share some kindness is by spreading positivity. Giving a compliment to someone you know, or someone you don’t can make someone’s day! Leaving a nice note for someone can be a fun anonymous way to give some love, and can even be left in a shared space for everyone who might see it. Simply smiling at people that you see and greeting them in a positive way could turn someone’s day around.

While Valentine’s day is a great opportunity to put these acts of kindness into effect, these can be done whenever you have a chance to! Random Acts of Kindness is a great way to spread positivity and love in a community, no matter what day it is.

Kyra is a senior at Lasell University and is an elementary education major. She loves to hike, bake, and work with her students at daycare.