Life > Experiences

Quick Reads to Hit Your Yearly Goal 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you’re anything like me, in January you set a much too ambitious reading goal for the year. Common among avid readers and popularized by the annual Goodreads Reading Challenge, many of us fall short of our anticipated total book count for the year. If you’re trying hard to hit that final goal, I have some wonderful short reads that you can check off within a day or two. Most of these I’ve read very recently, and some are even my all-time faves. 

Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey (176 Pages)

What’s cooler than cowboys? Nonbinary and women cowhands. What’s cooler than nonbinary and women cowhands? Nonbinary and women cowhands in the future who fight oppressive systems while belonging to an exclusive society of librarians! This book personally covers all my special interests that I think you should get super into too. At under 200 pages, you’re sure to devour this story in no time.

Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx (64 pages)

This is my list so I can get away with putting two cowboy books on it! If you haven’t read Brokeback Mountain yet you need to cancel all your plans for today, grab a box of tissues, and sit down with this masterpiece. Technically a short story, you will not be able to put this down until you’re done. A tale of two cowboys facing love and tragedy in the 60s, this is a must-read for anyone interested in short fiction. No description can do this story justice, go pick it up. 

Crush by Richard Siken (62 pages)

If you haven’t read any poetry yet this year, why not pick up Crush? Even if you’re not usually a poetry reader, this collection will have you quoting lines to friends and loved ones. Crush is fast-paced, emotional, and hard-hitting. Richard Siken is a modern poetic genius. Extra points go to this collection for including my favorite poem of all time “Straw House, Straw Dog”. 

All Systems Red by Martha Wells (144 pages)

For the sci-fi fans out there, All Systems Red is a shoo-in for any reading list. The first in a series of novellas known as The Murderbot Diaries, All Systems Red follows the adventure of an illegally autonomous android ‘murderbot’. While the description can come off as intense, the novella is surprisingly funny and will have you giggling to yourself. Once you’re finished you can pretty quickly read the rest of the series as well.

The Magic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen (256 pages)

While this is the longest book on the list, it is also a graphic novel that you can read in a few hours. This graphic novel is a beautiful mix of fairy tales and coming-of-age stories. Not only are the illustrations beautiful, but the story will leave you with tears in your eyes. Graphic novels are great year-round but are especially good at giving you a final boost to your reading goal. 

Remember, reading isn’t about the stats or the amount of books you get to in a year. Whether you want to read 10 or 100 books, be proud of yourself for even setting aside the time to appreciate literature.

Julia LaPlante is the Vice President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Lasell. She oversees and assissts and E and S boards as well as the copy editing team. Away from Her Campus, Julia is a senior English major at Lasell. She works at Lasell's library as she studies towards her Masters in Library and Information Science. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading gothic literature, watching nerdy television shows, and walking in nature. Julia deeply believes in the importantce of mindfulness and chocolate to ones attitude.