Old, New, Latest, and Greatest Films With Emalee: Big Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Welcome to Her Campus Lasell’s movie reviews with our writer and President, Emalee, where we are going to review the classics and the latest and greatest in film. So grab some popcorn and let’s see if this movie is worth seeing. Do not worry there will be *no spoilers* in this article.

The Big Sick was directed by Michael Showalter and released on July 14, 2017. It is a classic rom-com based on the true love story of Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani. Ray Romano plays Emily’s dad as well. Kumail is a comedian and meets Emily at one of his standup acts. They really hit it off and as their relationship gets more serious, Kumail is nervous about what his Pakistan Muslim parents are going to think of Emily. Throughout most of the movie, Kumail’s parents try to set him up with an arranged marriage because they expect him to follow in their footsteps even after moving to America. They also do not approve of him being a comedian/ Uber driver, they want him to be a lawyer. After five months Emily finds all of this out and things take a turn for the worse even more so when Emily is diagnosed with a strange illness and is put in a medically induced coma. Now I am not going to say what happens from there! If you get the chance to see it, I definitely would. It is funny and cute, as one might expect any rom-com to be. It is a fun movie to laugh at with friends or watch and “awww” with your S.O. Rotten Tomatoes rated the number one summer movie back a couple of years ago in 2017. Definitely a movie to check out.

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.