This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

True crime can take the form of books, films, podcasts, and more, it is a popular nonfiction genre of real crime stories. Over the last few years, true crime has gotten a lot of attention in the media. 

As a forensic science major, it is not hard to believe that I have an obsession with true crime, but what makes my obsession unhealthy? I have been a true crime fan for years. Through documentaries, podcasts, books, or tv shows I have always found myself drawn to it. These crept from just interesting me to being my comfort things. I’ve had lots of friends who have witnessed me fall asleep during true crime documentaries as they show evidence or talk about the gruesome things that the criminals have done. Which can be fairly concerning for other people to take note of.

I will go in search of true crime stories I have never heard of and then proceed to go outside and take a walk while I listen to them. I have spent hours upon hours listening to podcasts while I am doing my homework, in the car, taking a shower, or in class. Hearing the breaking down of cases calms me which is probably unusual for most people. 

I can proudly say I have never found myself admiring or having a “crush” on any of the criminals in these cases, I just find myself fascinated by their stories, and how they became the people they turned into. All of this can be explained as due to my major choice and my knowledge of solving crimes through evidence that calms me enough to walk through the case and try to solve it. 

I don’t often call my obsession unhealthy because other than being extremely time and mind consuming there is no damage being done to me through this. It can be more so considered unusual, but as the hype around true crime grows I think it has been seen to be more normalized. 

Carley Ellis

Lasell '26

Carley is a member and events director of HerCampus, she is a forensic science major in her sophomore year at Lasell University. She is also a member of other clubs on campus such as the Forensic Science Association. In her spare time she likes to read, play video games, and pick up new hobbies such as doing her own nails.