Style > Beauty

My Go-To Products for Fine Hair

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As a girl with thin, fine hair, I understand the struggles of volumizing or holding any sort of style with this hair type. Using the right products can make all the difference. Too much oil or weight can make my hair feel heavy and greasy, so finding products made for fine hair makes it much easier to manage. Keep reading to discover my go-to products for fine hair!

The Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing Shampoo has been a game-changer for my thin, lifeless hair. It automatically gives my hair more volume and has a fresh, natural scent. I have oily hair and I used to have to wash my hair daily. With this shampoo, my hair feels super clean, and I can now wait to wash it every 3-4 days. I usually shampoo twice to last longer in between washes, leaving my hair feeling squeaky clean!

The Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing Clay Conditioner pairs perfectly with the shampoo. It doesn’t weigh my hair down or leave an oily residue like other conditioners I’ve used and makes my hair shiny and voluminous. All Aveda products are vegan, cruelty-free, and made from natural ingredients, which makes me love their products even more. I love how this conditioner has a thicker, clay texture, but still feels lightweight on my hair. I feel like I’m at the salon when I use this product. 

The Eva-NYC Mane Magic 10-in-1 Hair Primer is also one of my go-to’s. I put a small amount on my palm and run it through my hair before blow drying, and afterward if I notice my hair is a little frizzy. It holds 10 benefits which include strengthening, heat protection, reducing frizz, detangling, softening, cutting drying time, adding shine, nourishing, smoothing, and UV protection. This makes it the perfect all-in-one heat protectant and shine spray to use before styling. I just make sure not to use too much to make my hair appear oily or flat. This product is made with argan oil and sunflower seed oil and comes in a 100% recycled aluminum bottle. 

If you have color-treated hair and notice any frizz, the Aveda Color Renewal Hair Color Treatment Mask is a great product to use in between appointments. I use this about once every two weeks to keep my colored hair looking fresh and lasting as long as I can in between hair appointments. It also makes my hair super shiny and silky smooth, so I love using it when I notice my hair feeling a little dry or brittle. This mask adds an extra layer of moisture when I need it and smells amazing.

The Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo is my favorite product to extend my time between washes and give my hair some extra volume. It’s free from sulfates, parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, and petrolatum, and brings my flat hair back to life without a white residue. This will usually help extend my wash by another day or so and smells just like a salon!

Another hair mask I love is the Amika Soulfood Nourishing Mask. Like the Aveda hair mask but without the color deposits, this gives my hair a boost of moisture and helps with frizz. I try to incorporate a hair mask every few washes to keep my hair shiny and smooth, and I love this one because it’s super lightweight. 

Alexis Grant

Lasell '23

A Junior at Lasell University, Alexis majors in Journalism and Media Writing with a minor in Fashion Media and Marketing. Alexis is interested in dance, photography, social media, travel, and music. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching her favorite tv shows on Netflix and spending time with her friends and family!