This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you’ve been the victim of winter blues, and spring just can’t come fast enough, I get you. All winter I struggle with the lack of little critters running around. Growing up in the middle of the woods, there is always something making noise during the warmer months. Whether it’s squirrels running up trees, birds pecking at seeds, or porcupines plumbing through my lawn, I love to watch wild animals. Sadly, all my little friends have to hide in their holes all winter. This year, I discovered a way to soothe the lack of animals. I present to you my new favorite pastime: watching animal live cams. 

Many zoos, conservation organizations, and protected lands offer digital opportunities to watch animals all day long. Not only are they fun to watch, but they are also great educational tools for all ages. I’ve compiled a list of some of my go-to animal cams that always brighten my day. 

Cornell Lab Live Bird Cams

If you’ve ever been in the birding community, or even had to google something about a specific bird, you’ve likely heard of the Cornell Lab. They are one of the leading names in ornithology. Luckily, you don’t need to know anything about the science of birds to tune in to their numerous bird cams. You can kick back and watch the Barred Owl, or spend some time studying the feeder cam up in Ontario. Fair warning, these birds aren’t contained, so they won’t always be in their nests or by their feeders. It’s best to check in at different times of the day to see what they’re up to!

Monterey Bay Aquarium Cams

If you’re into ocean life, you’re missing out if you’re not tuning into these live cams. Monterey Bay Aquarium has a plethora of different animals you can watch, from the biggest mammals to the smallest sea anemones. If you like cuddly creatures, pull up their sea otter cam to watch the little guys dart through the water. If you need something to chill you out, check out their moon jelly cam to be blown away by the beauty of these squishy creatures. Just keep in mind, their cams usually only run from 7 am to 7 pm. 

Smithsonian National Zoo Cams

If you’re looking to watch bigger beasts, the Smithsonian National Zoo has you covered. Their giant panda cam was actually what first got me into animal live streams. Whether they’re outside playing in their swings, or inside fast asleep, these big cuddly guys are endlessly amusing. Baby animals are always mood boosters, and you can watch them live on their cheetah cub cam

Happy animal watching!

Julia LaPlante is the Vice President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Lasell. She oversees and assissts and E and S boards as well as the copy editing team. Away from Her Campus, Julia is a senior English major at Lasell. She works at Lasell's library as she studies towards her Masters in Library and Information Science. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading gothic literature, watching nerdy television shows, and walking in nature. Julia deeply believes in the importantce of mindfulness and chocolate to ones attitude.