This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

No. I am not talking about VSCO girls. 

Before I go into depth about my favorite aesthetics, I feel as if I need to explain what aesthetic means. This word is so incredibly overused that it has essentially become slang. However, for those who may not know what aesthetic is, I will try my best to explain. The concept has a few different definitions and while some people immediately think of the cringey Pinterest pages and a Starbucks Frappuccino, I think ‘aesthetic’ is a great term to coin for things that fall more into the personality and feelings relating to a particular style. Aesthetics are more than just what is in someone’s closet. Aesthetics are if the clothes are thrown around the room, stacked on a chair in the corner of the room, or neatly folded into drawers. I would personally describe aesthetics as something that is appealing to the eye or looks good. I guess the term ‘aesthetic’ can be interchangeable with the word ’style’. There are so many different aesthetics. 

The first aesthetic I’d like to introduce you to is the 90s aesthetic. Think bucket hats, denim jackets, and Emma Chamberlain in a sweater vest and loafers. It doesn’t even have to be the style that was worn in the 90s. It just needs to seem like it was. When I think of the 90s aesthetic, I envision thrift shopping. Maybe that’s why I also envision Emma Chamberlain. If you know, you know. 

To me, the idea of aesthetics also applies to more lifestyle elements like house decor. For example, google ‘cozy home aesthetic.’ Cashmere blankets, string lights, golden accents, and a ton of plants, preferably snake plants. Those pictures allude to how I plan on decorating my own house one day. 
Lastly, the clean girl aesthetic is my all-time favorite. Slicked-back hair, gold jewelry, typically hoops, and minimal makeup with a dewy highlighter and glossy lips. I like to think of the classic teddy bear and the song “Golden Hour” by Jvke. Chef’s kiss.

Megan Curley

Lasell '23

I'm a senior double-majoring in Hospitality and Event Management with a minor in Marketing. My hobbies include being obsessed with Formula 1, camping, and trying new things.