Misconceptions of Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

There are a lot of misconceptions surrounding college and the experience freshmen have. These are just a few of the most common:

1. Parties – No, you will not see topless girls and keg stands. Yes, you will get overheated and have other people’s sweat on you.

2. Dating – Prince Charming seems to be pretty difficult to find in your freshman year, or any year for that matter.

3. Friends – Lifelong friends definitely aren’t all made the first year. Instead, you’ll most likely find yourself getting annoyed at everyone around November.

4. Getting homesick – No matter how freeing college is, you will miss the routines you have at home. And of course you’ll miss your parents.

5. Classes – There are no misconceptions on this one, college is hard.

6. Food – The Freshman 15 does exist, but you’ll get sick of not having a home cooked meal every day.

7. Dorm life – The liveliness of your neighbors is exactly what you want in a dorm until it’s 2AM and the sound of doors being slammed keeps you awake.

8. Cancelled classes – Unfortunately, this doesn’t happen as much as you’d like.

College really isn’t that bad, but it is not what you see in the movies. Always remember, anything can be achieved in college if you put in the work and put your all into it. It is the time to discover your passions and to really experience what it means to be a freshman in college.

Jenna Bazzano, freshman at Lasell College, Criminal Justice major